Verizon national broadband questions
Jesus Chrysler
2009-12-15 03:05:39 UTC
Anyone using Verizon national broadband as your ISP?

I just installed a USB760 modem and Cradlepoint MBR1000 router. I'm
thinking about replacing my current ISP with Vz national broadband
service.

I live in a remote rural area. My ISP is a regional wireless provider
who covers the area with Motorola Canopy systems on 900 Mhz. Problem
is that the local ISP has a limited number of towers and I am on the
coverage edge. My signal strength is around -81 to -85 dBm with
frequent excursions down to -90 dBm. The Canopy receiver on the side
of my house drops the connection around -85 dBm. Further, the ISP has
traffic management software that kicks individual subscribers off the
network after 15-20 minutes to save bandwidth for a couple of local
factories that are heavy users -- they deny using traffic management
but it's clear they are.

Right now, with the Vz national broadband, the USB760 shows 2-3 bars
with signal strength ranging between -70 and -81 dBm. The connection
seems solid but is slower than the local ISP. I haven't tried a
speedtest but I suspect the Vz connnection is around 800 K - 1 M down.

If you are using Vz national broadband, what are your speeds and
signal strength in dBm??? Should be able to get the signal strength
from either VA Access Manager or from your router.

Thanks.
Oppie
2009-12-22 20:41:04 UTC
This is largely a dead group.
You might have better responses by addressing your question to either
alt.online-service.verizon or
alt.cellular.verizon

Good luck.