My way of getting more newsgroups
deepgeek
2008-04-28 10:14:09 UTC
Hi, All,

Re: the recent discussions on not getting enough newsgroups here on
Verizon...

I've had many problems with Verizon Internet support, and I went back to
my old Internet provider (a local dial-up firm-I will post name of firm on
request but wont volunteer it on fear of being called a spammer.) Anyway,
I liked their support because they are a UNIX shop and I am a Linux user.
So they have a package where you get dial up in case your DSL goes down
and you get to connect to their servers over your DSL connection. Costs
$60/yr and I get a billion newsgroups over their news server, but their
server is slower than Verizon's. I basically use both now and get
everything I want.

Thanks for listening,
---
Deepgeek
Big Al
2008-04-28 10:44:00 UTC
Giving out links for the point of discussion is not spamming. Its
called 'general discussion' and that's what this is. If you make it
part of your signature I might agree with the 'spam' comment.

I have a local cable company I was with before Verizon. Not Comcast.
The company operates only in this county (MD area) and in MI & OH areas.
Odd business area huh. They submitted plans to pull out of the MD
area about 14 months ago and Verizon started laying FIOS cable all in
the same month it seems like. Do you see the story developing????

Well it did develop, and people found out that all contracts would be
passed on to Comcast and that was a horrible thought so a lot ran to
Direct TV and Verizon. It was like herding sheep into the pen. And
I went with it. The bad part was after 8 months and I was into the
Verizon contract (2 yrs) the cable company decides to stay. No FCC
permission or what, but they stayed, but lost a good part of their
subscribers however.

Still they were a small company and listened. The sole problem was
they farmed out the news to giga news which is good but they capped the
download at 125K (yes K) per port and only 4 ports. So the best you
could get is 1/2 Meg download. Headers would go a 5 meg but data was
.5 meg. The good part was they had high retension and all the groups.

(sorry for long winded) I picked up a free teranews account to fill in
Verizon's retention/reliability problem and that has worked great.
When I'm missing a file or its a bit old, my reader pulls it from
teranews. They don't have a lot of extra groups, but what groups they
have that verizon has, they have more headers in.

All in all with Free phone with Verizon and not paying the 10$ long
distance fee to AT&T, the switch was painless and it really is cheaper
with Verizon. I even get a few better TV channels so its not a total
loss. Over all I got a few and and I lost a few. Sometimes life is
a crap shoot.
Deepgeek
Rusty
2008-04-28 14:12:00 UTC
"deepgeek" <***@not2me.invalid> wrote in message news:RrhRj.9262$***@trnddc05...
<snip>
Post by deepgeek
So they have a package where you get dial up in case your DSL goes down
and you get to connect to their servers over your DSL connection. Costs
$60/yr and I get a billion newsgroups over their news server, but their
server is slower than Verizon's. I basically use both now and get
everything I want.
Thanks for listening,
---
Deepgeek
Wow! That is a lot of newsgroups!
Rusty
Patrick Philips
2008-04-28 15:35:47 UTC
Wow!  That is a lot of newsgroups!
and junk :-)
Patrick in IL.
Bill Sharpe
2008-04-28 17:12:27 UTC
deepgeek wrote:
Costs $60/yr and I get a billion newsgroups over their news server

I've told you at least a million times - don't exaggerate... <vbg>

Bill
deepgeek
2008-04-29 10:42:49 UTC
OK, I wont exagerate.

If memory serves me (I've been hand-hacking my newsrc files with at text
editor) verizon has about 30k and bestweb.net has 60k.

Bestweb farms out to a company called highwinds media (or it could be
highlands, let me check, yeah it pings to "highwinds-media." They have
boneless, which I don't use because downloading new headers is too much.
They also have alt.binaries.cd.image.linux, so maybe the next debian that
comes out I can go faster than bittorrent.

BTW, I do podcasting at hackerpublicradio.org, and my next one will
about binary downloading over newsgroups, I'll post when it actually goes
on the webpage in case any of you want a listen.

---
Deepgeek