Another disadvantage of FIOS
James Silverton
2008-04-26 15:00:38 UTC
Hello, All!

Two days ago, my FIOS set-up dropped out in the early afternoon.
I wasn't present but I found the time from other indications. In
other words, in the early evening, I had no phone, no TV and no
Internet. The time needed to navigate the stupid menu to get to
a real human meant it looked like I was going to use up most of
my emergency cell phone minutes. It was fortunate that a friend
lent me his unlimited minutes phone because it turned out in the
next morning that the call had not been logged properly and
no-one called or came in the morning as had been promised.

The second call, at 12 noon, went thro' rapidly and the techs.
proved aware that I had called the previous day. They promised
action and a tech came within 90 minutes. He deduced that the
problem was at the Verizon main connection box and returned in
10 minutes when everything came back on. Apparently, someone
working on the box had disconnected other cables.

It is amazing how dependent we are on connections and I resent
that I almost certainly will have to pay for a new phone plan
with a longer minute allocation. Perhaps, a plan where you buy a
card with a fixed number of minutes might be best; there's no
monthly fee even if it costs 25 cents a minute to use. The
alternative seems to make use of Verizon (DAMNIT)Wireless'
65-plus plan which includes 200 minutes and costs $10 more than
my current emergency plan.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
Big Al
2008-04-26 15:29:50 UTC
I'm south of Baltimore, not far from you. I had mine go out on night
and found it dead at noon when I came home. Called and said 'agent' on
the menu and got an agent immediately (2 minutes or less). They put
the call in, and a guy was here in 10 minutes. He was in the area. He
did the same thing... down the street fix. It might have been him but
I was up in 25 minutes start to stop.

I was pleased but it points out the need for backup. And I don't mean
the power supply they supply you. I have a 1000 minute 1 year
renewable service from t-mobile. We've had it for 9 months and used
150 minutes... give you an idea of our usage?
Han
2008-04-26 15:38:19 UTC
Post by James Silverton
[...]
I haven't had such a problem as you, James and Big Al.
My experiences with techs have not been as great as yours, but I haven't
really needed them since the installation was a week or so old (first
router blew its radio).

Through work, I have a very basic Sprint plan for 2 phones that costs me
~$60/month with more than enough minutes for the limited use of spouse
and me. Don't yet know what will happen to the plan if and when I retire
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Froggie the Gremlin
2008-04-27 19:44:51 UTC
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:00:38 GMT, "James Silverton"
Post by James Silverton
It is amazing how dependent we are on connections and I resent
that I almost certainly will have to pay for a new phone plan
with a longer minute allocation. Perhaps, a plan where you buy a
card with a fixed number of minutes might be best; there's no
monthly fee even if it costs 25 cents a minute to use. The
alternative seems to make use of Verizon (DAMNIT)Wireless'
65-plus plan which includes 200 minutes and costs $10 more than
my current emergency plan.
Jim, you can get a re-chargable calling card from SuperPhone
that always has no "use by" limits. Using the 800 number, the calls are
about $.045 a minute. I've had mine for about 6-years and I put about
$20 on it every 2 or 3 years.

---<ribbit>
James Silverton
2008-04-27 21:47:00 UTC
Froggie wrote on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:44:51 GMT:

??>> It is amazing how dependent we are on connections and I
??>> resent that I almost certainly will have to pay for a new
??>> phone plan with a longer minute allocation. Perhaps, a
??>> plan where you buy a card with a fixed number of minutes
??>> might be best; there's no monthly fee even if it costs 25
??>> cents a minute to use. The alternative seems to make use
??>> of Verizon (DAMNIT)Wireless' 65-plus plan which includes
??>> 200 minutes and costs $10 more than my current emergency
??>> plan.

FtG> Jim, you can get a re-chargable calling card from
FtG> SuperPhone that always has no "use by" limits. Using the
FtG> 800 number, the calls are about $.045 a minute. I've had
FtG> mine for about 6-years and I put about $20 on it every 2
FtG> or 3 years.

Thanks, that's good to know and I will look into it.

n***@sysadmininc.com
2008-04-28 06:00:02 UTC
Post by James Silverton
It is amazing how dependent we are on connections and I resent
that I almost certainly will have to pay for a new phone plan
with a longer minute allocation. Perhaps, a plan where you buy a
card with a fixed number of minutes might be best; there's no
monthly fee even if it costs 25 cents a minute to use. The
alternative seems to make use of Verizon (DAMNIT)Wireless'
65-plus plan which includes 200 minutes and costs $10 more than
my current emergency plan.
Not having TV or internet isn't an emergency, it's an inconvenience that
can obviously way until the next day. Not having telephone service can
be an emergency but you have a cell phone with emergency minutes, so why
couldn't it have just waited until the next day?

Regards
Nigel
Han
2008-04-28 10:18:01 UTC
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by James Silverton
It is amazing how dependent we are on connections and I resent
that I almost certainly will have to pay for a new phone plan
with a longer minute allocation. Perhaps, a plan where you buy a
card with a fixed number of minutes might be best; there's no
monthly fee even if it costs 25 cents a minute to use. The
alternative seems to make use of Verizon (DAMNIT)Wireless'
65-plus plan which includes 200 minutes and costs $10 more than
my current emergency plan.
Not having TV or internet isn't an emergency, it's an inconvenience
that can obviously way until the next day. Not having telephone
service can be an emergency but you have a cell phone with emergency
minutes, so why couldn't it have just waited until the next day?
Regards
Nigel
Don't know about you, but I am paying for 24/7 service, at my pleasure.
And the complaint was really about the abhorrent voice menu system, that
(in most cases) seems designed to keep you in limbo.

Agent, assistant, *, 0, human, HUMAN!!!!
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
James Silverton
2008-04-28 12:16:07 UTC
***@sysadmininc.com wrote on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 06:00:02 GMT:

n> James Silverton <***@verizon.not> wrote:
??>> It is amazing how dependent we are on connections and I
??>> resent that I almost certainly will have to pay for a new
??>> phone plan with a longer minute allocation. Perhaps, a
??>> plan where you buy a card with a fixed number of minutes
??>> might be best; there's no monthly fee even if it costs 25
??>> cents a minute to use. The alternative seems to make use
??>> of Verizon (DAMNIT)Wireless' 65-plus plan which includes
??>> 200 minutes and costs $10 more than my current emergency
??>> plan.

n> Not having TV or internet isn't an emergency, it's an
n> inconvenience that can obviously way until the next day. Not
n> having telephone service can be an emergency but you have a
n> cell phone with emergency minutes, so why couldn't it have
n> just waited until the next day?

The whole point is that it is not fully appreciated that if you
go to FIOS, you also *must* have a cell phone if the system goes
down. Not everyone has a cell phone and, as I said, mine has a
30 minute time allocation and it looks like if I have to
navigate the current menu system and talk to a tech, that could
be readily used up.

Han
2008-04-29 00:54:26 UTC
Post by James Silverton
The whole point is that it is not fully appreciated that if you
go to FIOS, you also *must* have a cell phone if the system goes
down. Not everyone has a cell phone and, as I said, mine has a
30 minute time allocation and it looks like if I have to
navigate the current menu system and talk to a tech, that could
be readily used up.
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland
I agree, but I am not that anxious about it. We had a bad power outage a
few years back, and a just about total phone outage that lasted hours,
because a main switching station got flooded. Cell phones wouldn't have
helped much. In a real emergency neighbors and/or smoke signals are
still required.

But I do have a cell phone, and family within walking distance on other
providers, in addition to my FiOS.

Society worked without phones for just a few years before Bell <grin>!
--
Best regards
Han