Does anybody read Verizon help & support e-mail?
Robert Peirce
2008-03-09 15:57:48 UTC
I tried help & support. Chat is not available. So I sent e-mail to
report that their DNS is not translating all names for me.

Most names work but some don't. I even sent a list of the three names
which are giving me trouble. I can access them if I know the IP
address, and most names are translated fine, but I have trouble with
some. This is new in the last couple of weeks.

I keep getting mail back to provide more information followed by mail to
Check Help & Support [where I started]
Try chat [grayed out and unavailable]
Send another e-mail [I have sent three or four]

There is no evidence that e-mail works any better than their search
engine in help & support. Can anybody comment on this? Does anybody
actually read the mail? Is anything actually done about it?
--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]
Bill Sharpe
2008-03-09 18:26:51 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
I tried help & support. Chat is not available. So I sent e-mail to
report that their DNS is not translating all names for me.
Most names work but some don't. I even sent a list of the three names
which are giving me trouble. I can access them if I know the IP
address, and most names are translated fine, but I have trouble with
some. This is new in the last couple of weeks.
I keep getting mail back to provide more information followed by mail to
Check Help & Support [where I started]
Try chat [grayed out and unavailable]
Send another e-mail [I have sent three or four]
There is no evidence that e-mail works any better than their search
engine in help & support. Can anybody comment on this? Does anybody
actually read the mail? Is anything actually done about it?
The email replies are automated. I asked two questions in two separate
emails and got automated responses that didn't even come close to what I
asked. At the end of each message, VZ offered an opportunity to reply if
the results weren't helpful. I replied in each case and again got back
the same two automated responses. That's when I gave up.

My main concern was why system status was no longer operational at their
website and when would it be back. Who knows?

Bill
John Dulak
2008-03-09 19:13:48 UTC
Post by Bill Sharpe
My main concern was why system status was no longer operational at their
website and when would it be back. Who knows?
Bill
Bill:

If you want system Status try here:

http://www2.verizon.net/protected_redirects/systemstatus.asp

HTH & GL

John
--
\\\||///
------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6
Bill Sharpe
2008-03-09 21:11:18 UTC
Post by John Dulak
Post by Bill Sharpe
My main concern was why system status was no longer operational at
their website and when would it be back. Who knows?
Bill
http://www2.verizon.net/protected_redirects/systemstatus.asp
HTH & GL
John
The problem is that if I go to this Verizon status site:
http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/link/main/systemstatus
none of the tools are available. The message says to please try later.

This has been the case for quite some time and that's what my email
messages were questioning.

Your link gives some status messages, and thanks for that.

Bill
- Bob -
2008-03-10 00:20:40 UTC
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:57:48 GMT, Robert Peirce
Post by Robert Peirce
Most names work but some don't. I even sent a list of the three names
which are giving me trouble. I can access them if I know the IP
address, and most names are translated fine, but I have trouble with
some. This is new in the last couple of weeks.
Robert:

This is not the answer to your specific question, but I have seen this
DNS issue recently myself It's definitely a VZ DNS issue. I changed to
some other VZ DNS servers and the problem has subsided.

The servers I am currently using are:
71.250.0.14
71.242.0.14

FWIW, I don't think anyone at VZ in support even knows what DNS is,
let alone understands lookup issues.
Big Al
2008-03-10 20:53:30 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
I tried help & support. Chat is not available. So I sent e-mail to
report that their DNS is not translating all names for me.
Most names work but some don't. I even sent a list of the three names
which are giving me trouble. I can access them if I know the IP
address, and most names are translated fine, but I have trouble with
some. This is new in the last couple of weeks.
I keep getting mail back to provide more information followed by mail to
Check Help & Support [where I started]
Try chat [grayed out and unavailable]
Send another e-mail [I have sent three or four]
There is no evidence that e-mail works any better than their search
engine in help & support. Can anybody comment on this? Does anybody
actually read the mail? Is anything actually done about it?
Yes, I agree. The help is horrible, and when emailing them, they send
useless replys back. Try responding to their email as it says at the
bottom. You get another set of suggestions that are off base and after
you do this enough, it stops suggesting things and I guess they think
the subject is closed. I see no avenue of repair via email.
I can't get the live chat or find a link for that either!
Annie
2008-03-12 14:27:50 UTC
"Big Al" wrote...
Post by Big Al
Yes, I agree. The help is horrible, and when emailing them, they send
useless replys back. Try responding to their email as it says at the
bottom. You get another set of suggestions that are off base and after
you do this enough, it stops suggesting things and I guess they think the
subject is closed. I see no avenue of repair via email.
I can't get the live chat or find a link for that either!
Don't waste your time in live chat. No matter what you ask, even the
simplest question, they go strictly according to the handbook sitting in
front of them, going over each item line by line (do you have your filters
put on correctly, is your modem turned on, etc. etc.). I couldn't get my
'expert' to skip ahead and simply answer my question. They start with the
assumption that you're doing something wrong and will exhaust every
possibility listed in the handbook until you give up because you've wasted 2
hours and gotten nowhere.

Annie
Jim Beard
2008-03-22 13:51:14 UTC
Try OpenDNS servers and see if they have the same problem.
If so, the problem is beyond Verizon's ability to control.

208.67.220.220
208.67.220.222

Cheers!

jim b.
--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Big Al
2008-03-22 16:16:11 UTC
Post by Jim Beard
Try OpenDNS servers and see if they have the same problem.
If so, the problem is beyond Verizon's ability to control.
208.67.220.220
208.67.220.222
Cheers!
jim b.
I've got a current ticket open, the DNS server is randomly giving me 2
IP's for the same name. One works, and one dies on tracert. They
have escalated the problem. I was lucky to get an understanding tech.
- Bob -
2008-03-27 20:57:10 UTC
Post by Big Al
I've got a current ticket open, the DNS server is randomly giving me 2
IP's for the same name. One works, and one dies on tracert. They
have escalated the problem. I was lucky to get an understanding tech.
I am totally amazed that you got a tech that even understood what you
were talking about.
Big Al
2008-03-27 22:06:25 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Post by Big Al
I've got a current ticket open, the DNS server is randomly giving me 2
IP's for the same name. One works, and one dies on tracert. They
have escalated the problem. I was lucky to get an understanding tech.
I am totally amazed that you got a tech that even understood what you
were talking about.
I've had pretty good experience with Support. Yes, a call or two that
are useless, but most of my problems so far are very defined and easy to
pinpoint and fix. I read these groups and know that its odd, but I'm
satisfied with phone support. Now the web support... ha. But
phone..okay.

Robert Peirce
2008-03-22 18:18:40 UTC
Post by Jim Beard
Try OpenDNS servers and see if they have the same problem.
If so, the problem is beyond Verizon's ability to control.
I did that a couple of weeks ago and it did resolve the problem.