Total rant unrelated to Verizon
Raoul Watson
2008-04-29 02:00:38 UTC
Today I read a manual which made me sick. There is a website out there
mimicking DHS.GOV --same color scheme, same style and reading
the "manula" in pdf, it appears to be "blessed" by homeland security.

http://www.dhsnnw.org

Noticed.. it is a dot ORG not a dot GOV.. so no, it is absolutely not
a government website.

How can it be? The website advices nothing less than unreasonable
search and seizure. This website if allowed to continue, engages
the public into a false sense of backing from the government to
conduct spying and sniffing wireless network traffic of their neighbors!

Hard to believe? Read their manual..(under Official HNAP manual is
released --whoo hoo!)
http://www.dhsnnw.org/HNAPDocs/NNW-HNAP-How%20To%20Sniff%20Wireless%20Traffic.pdf

Start with your network then progress to others..

As a law enforcement personnel I am all about securing our
network, infrastructures, and the airwaves but what the heck is this?

I would be fined and sent to jail if I advocate something like this..
or even remotely suggest that we should spy and capture
network trafic arbitratrily "just because" a possibility exists that
it is being used by terrorist.
Geoff
2008-04-29 02:33:36 UTC
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:00:38 GMT, "Raoul Watson"
Post by Raoul Watson
[...]
Interesting.

From their Mission Statement:
_______________
"Identify - Identification of public networks through wireless and
wired reconnaissance in order to ascertain the geo-spatial placement
of these networks for later analysis.
Collect - Collect large amounts of sample data from identified public
networks in order to generate the clearest possible image of the types
of network traffic flowing over these networks.
Understand - Use data analysis in order to find threats to national
security within the abstract data collected from public networks
within the community.
Interpret - Discover trends in the analyzed data, in order to identify
hotspots, regions, and zones in danger of being over run with
terrorist network traffic or that are already hotbeds for such
activity and to establish a broader more accurate situational
awareness of the communities public network infrastructure.
Protect - Protect our nation’s, state’s, and community’s networks,
interests, and populous from spurious terrorist network traffic.
Share - Collaborate with other government agencies to provide them
with information on threats to national security and to be the eyes
and ears for them within the networks used by our respective
communities"
________________________

Is this truly a civilian operation sanctioned by DHS or is it a
human-engineering scam to get people to send them indiscriminate
sniffer logs to have unsuspecting user accounts and passwords
harvested?

Both would be/must be/should be/oughta be ILLEGAL.
Elmo
2008-04-29 10:12:31 UTC
Post by Raoul Watson
[...]
Google is still your friend...

http://blog.edu-cyberpg.com/2008/04/28/ECP+Network+Newsletters+Neighborhood+Network+Watch.aspx

So is whois:
Domain ID:D149216004-LROR
Domain Name:DHSNNW.ORG
Created On:24-Sep-2007 00:31:49 UTC
Last Updated On:23-Nov-2007 03:47:00 UTC
Expiration Date:24-Sep-2008 00:31:49 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Netfirms, Inc. (R1427-LROR)
Status:OK
Registrant ID:NF-OWNER-47814
Registrant Name:Emery Martin
Registrant Street1:43 Sutton Street Apt 1R
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Brooklyn
Registrant State/Province:NY
Registrant Postal Code:11222
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.1626354271
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:
Admin ID:NF-ADMIN-47814
Admin Name:Emery Martin
Admin Street1:43 Sutton Street Apt 1R
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Brooklyn
Admin State/Province:NY
Admin Postal Code:11222
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.1626354271
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:
Tech ID:NF-TECH-47814
Tech Name:Domains Manager
Tech Street1:5160 Yonge St., 1800
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Toronto
Tech State/Province:ON
Tech Postal Code:M2N6L9
Tech Country:CA
Tech Phone:+1.1416661210
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:
Name Server:NS1.NETFIRMS.COM
Name Server:NS2.NETFIRMS.COM
--
Politics depends on our ability to persuade each other of
common aims based on a common reality. It involves the
compromise, the art of what's possible.
Raoul Watson
2008-04-29 22:56:22 UTC
Post by Elmo
Post by Raoul Watson
[...]
Thanks.. I already know everything about Emery...