Locaton of CO in Allston (Boston) MA
D. Kirkpatrick
2007-09-22 19:31:17 UTC
My sister is getting DSL later this month.

She says that she is getting a combo POTS package and 3.0 Down DSL.

She is in the Union Square section of Allston/Brighton.

Does anyone know where the CO is in that area?

I am trying to figure out how far she is from it so as to get a feel
for possible DSL quality based on loop length.

DMK
Adam
2007-09-22 21:25:51 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
She is in the Union Square section of Allston/Brighton.
Does anyone know where the CO is in that area?
For any US telephone number or ZIP code:
http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

I don't think it's correct for my current location, but it's correct for
my previous place. YMMV. HTH.

Adam
Email: adam seven zero seven at verizon dot net
D. Kirkpatrick
Great, thanks.
Pop`
2007-09-22 22:39:50 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
My sister is getting DSL later this month.
She says that she is getting a combo POTS package and 3.0 Down DSL.
She is in the Union Square section of Allston/Brighton.
Does anyone know where the CO is in that area?
I am trying to figure out how far she is from it so as to get a feel
for possible DSL quality based on loop length.
DMK
Most places have a DSL "test" you can perform to check your lines for
expected DSL speeds that can be attained. I'd see if I could find those.
Ask her what company she oredered from.

re estimating wire distance from a CO, it's not very accurate to just look
at a map and judge the actual wirelength between the residence and the telco
CO. Their lines may go in some pretty ridiculous zig-zag patterns all over
the place, plus there may be repeaters and conditioners in the lines that
you won't be able to tell about from maps. So, as the crow flies or the
streets ramble, she might be, say 0.9 miles from the CO, but over 2 miles by
wire. However, she may effectively get half mile operation due to an
amplifier or repeater stragegically placed in the ckt.
The only real indicator is to do a test on the actual line as provided by
that telco to see what you get for the up/down speeds.
You do NOT have to have DSL to make those tests work, BTW; they're
actually aimed at dialup connections who want to switch to DSL.
There are also places that can test the lines from end to end (CO to
residence address) even though they aren't even in the same city. They ARE
indicative, but not super-accurate.

Finally, if the telco gave her 3.0 service, it's very highly likely that
she's within the workable range for their DSL; it's one of the first basic
checks they make before letting anyone sign up for it. Telcos in general
make pretty good recommendations as long as the client isn't ordering them
around. Obviously it's in their best interests to do so.

Also, in doing any testing, make MULTIPLE tests at different times of day
and on different days. Those numbers do vary quite a bit, depending on a
lot of things, but even if you get a range, as long as it's always an
acceptable range, that's good. If it EVER show it goes out, then get away
from it.

HTH

Pop`
D. Kirkpatrick
2007-09-23 21:56:57 UTC
Post by Pop`
Finally, if the telco gave her 3.0 service, it's very highly likely that
she's within the workable range for their DSL; it's one of the first basic
checks they make before letting anyone sign up for it. Telcos in general
make pretty good recommendations as long as the client isn't ordering them
around. Obviously it's in their best interests to do so.
True but based on experience the peoplein sales may not always know
what works in the field.

I debugged a DSL line for a friend a few years ago in Foxboro. He was
having all kinds of disconnects.

He had a tech come out and he installed a home run and whole new line
from the NIC tot he computer and that didn't help.

Furthe rtesting by Verizon found that ther ewere too many splices
between him and the CO even though he was inside the expected "ok"
territory.

In the end Verizon offered an apology and told him they cannot give
him DSL.

He got cable TV installed and gets it that way now.
Pop`
2007-09-24 14:59:11 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by Pop`
[...]
Ouch. Unfortunately, there's "usually" and then there's the real world
where one can never say always.

Pop`
John Santos
2007-09-27 14:48:13 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by Pop`
[...]
You'd think they could have found him another pair in the same
cable without so many splices in it. Or with better quality splices.

My mom is in Sharon (next town to Foxboro), about as far as it is
possible to get from the CO. She got DSL (768K, $15/mo service)
about a year ago, no problem.

My point here is Sharon is a very similar town right next to Foxboro,
was probably originally wired up for telephone service about the
same time with the same type of equipment (over 100 years ago),
and has had similar upgrades over the years (switches, CO), so
the situation should be similar. My mom's neighborhood was wired
no more recently than the mid-1950's, which is the same time
Foxboro also grew from a small farming town (~1200 people) to a
bedroom suburb (~15,000 people), so equipment is of the same era.
John
catalpa
2007-09-23 05:15:09 UTC
Go to the AceDSL website www.acedsl.com and put in the phone number to get
the loop length (uses the Verizon database).
Travis
2007-09-23 07:23:20 UTC
Post by catalpa
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
My sister is getting DSL later this month.
She says that she is getting a combo POTS package and 3.0 Down DSL.
She is in the Union Square section of Allston/Brighton.
Does anyone know where the CO is in that area?
I am trying to figure out how far she is from it so as to get a feel
for possible DSL quality based on loop length.
DMK
Go to the AceDSL website www.acedsl.com and put in the phone number to get
the loop length (uses the Verizon database).
That site doesn't list all the area codes where Verizon is the phone
company.
Travis in Shoreline Washington
catalpa
2007-09-24 03:30:45 UTC
Post by Travis
Post by catalpa
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
My sister is getting DSL later this month.
She says that she is getting a combo POTS package and 3.0 Down DSL.
She is in the Union Square section of Allston/Brighton.
Does anyone know where the CO is in that area?
I am trying to figure out how far she is from it so as to get a feel
for possible DSL quality based on loop length.
DMK
Go to the AceDSL website www.acedsl.com and put in the phone number to
get the loop length (uses the Verizon database).
That site doesn't list all the area codes where Verizon is the phone
company.
I never said it did. The question was about DSL service in the Boston MA
area and AceDSL covers that area.
D. Kirkpatrick
2007-09-23 21:58:29 UTC
Another great tool. Thanks.
nobody >
2007-09-27 21:36:07 UTC
Post by catalpa
Go to the AceDSL website www.acedsl.com and put in the phone number to get
the loop length (uses the Verizon database).
"• Available to Customers in NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, and Greenwich CT "
No exchanges out of that area
catalpa
2007-09-28 02:36:47 UTC
Post by catalpa
Go to the AceDSL website www.acedsl.com and put in the phone number to
get the loop length (uses the Verizon database).
"• Available to Customers in NY, NJ, PA, MA, MD, and Greenwich CT "
No exchanges out of that area
Yes, that is the case. The question was about DSL service in the Boston MA
area and AceDSL covers that area.
Abi