Newbie for Internet data plan for a Verizon Wireless user.
Ant
2012-06-11 01:31:25 UTC
Hello.

My small family and I have multiple desktop computers and
laptops/notebooks (Linux/Debian stable, 2008's MacBook Pro's Mac OS X
10.5.8, and very old Windows XP Pro. SP3) and mobile phones (an Apple
iPhone 4S and two LG Cosmos 2). We want to get a back up fast Internet
connection in case Time Warner Cable (TWC) goes down which does happen
once in a while for hours and is quite annoying. Currently, we use
dial-up Internet through Verizon's old copper phone lines on one Windows
computer but it is too slow (3 KB/sec average even on various 56k modems
-- it has been like this since the mid 1990s/90s)!

I assume I need an USB wireless modem if needed for emergencies, but 4G
type. iPhone 4S uses 3G. Do we connect it to these mentioned phones? How
will that work? Are these modems backward compatible? Do we need new
phones that we just bought earlier this year?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"The ants sought personal revenge for my having sprayed them the day
before." --Oliver Smith
- Call Me Maybe (Instrumental Version)
David H. Lipman
2012-06-11 02:49:43 UTC
Post by Ant
[...]
4G MiFi or DSL

"USB wireless modem" ?
--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Ant
2012-06-11 12:33:13 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
Post by Ant
[...]
How does one use DSL outside the home to travel with computer devices
and mobile phones? Also, DSL is unavailable at home too so that's out.
Post by David H. Lipman
"USB wireless modem" ?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&&deviceCategoryId=15
for USB modems to connect computer devices and mobile phones with their
Verizon Wireless service.

Oops, thank you for removing my FWD. My first post failed for some
reason so I had to repost it. :(
--
"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
| |o o| |
David H. Lipman
2012-06-11 12:40:12 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
"USB wireless modem" ?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&&deviceCategoryId=15
for USB modems to connect computer devices and mobile phones with their
Verizon Wireless service.
Oops, thank you for removing my FWD. My first post failed for some reason
so I had to repost it. :(
That URL is worthless as it depends on locality.

If DSL is not available I sduggest the 4G MiFi.
Ant
2012-06-12 04:33:41 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
Post by Ant
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&&deviceCategoryId=15
for USB modems to connect computer devices and mobile phones with
their Verizon Wireless service.
Oops, thank you for removing my FWD. My first post failed for some
reason so I had to repost it. :(
That URL is worthless as it depends on locality.
90631.
Post by David H. Lipman
If DSL is not available I sduggest the 4G MiFi.
Thanks.
--
"No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
| |o o| |
Justin
It would be much cheaper to get a DSL line as backup.
Ant
2012-06-11 12:34:20 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Ant
[...]
That's the problem. No DSL service here. And how does one travel outside
of home with it? I'd like to take it outdoor too if wifi and wired
services are unavailable. :(
--
"What is it going to be like in eternity with God? Frankly, the capacity
of our brains cannot handle the wonder and greatness of heaven. It would
Justin
2012-06-11 12:48:03 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Justin
Post by Ant
[...]
Your post doesn't mention anything about you wanting to go mobile with it.

You can tether a phone for I believe an extra $20 a month if you want
to do it according to the terms of service.
A USB modem will cost somewhere around 40-60 a month and you only
get 5GB a month.

With multiple users you could easily use 5GB in a day
David H. Lipman
2012-06-11 12:58:24 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Ant
Post by Justin
Post by Ant
[...]
We need to move away from using the terminology "USB Modem". If anything it
is a "Cellular modem" that tethers to a phone via USB. This way it puts the
device in its connection technology like; DUN modem, Cable modem and DSL
modem. As we all know many Cable and DSL modems also have a USB port.
Ant
2012-06-12 04:35:58 UTC
Ah, so I should say cellular phones through USB to computers.
Or maybe "USB-connected cellular-data modem" :-) .
Like, e.g., the Sierra Wireless (q.v.) AirCard series.
Thanks, tlvp (does abbreviation/acroymn that mean anything?)
--
"Whoops, there goes another ambulance ant." --Seymour and Pepe (Rick
Moranis episode from The Muppets)