Incoming mail problem
rlk
2008-02-01 12:38:52 UTC
Am presently using XP, Outlook Express 6, Verizon DSL (incoming.mail.net)
for email service. Up until this morning I too have been getting huge dumps
of spam. Now incoming messages stop at number 20 (receiving 20 of 100, etc.)
and everything between 1 and 20 repeatedly goes into the inbasket. Does
anyone know of a remedy for this problem ?

Regards,

RLK
Patrick Phillips
2008-02-01 13:28:39 UTC
Post by rlk
Am presently using XP, Outlook Express 6, Verizon DSL
(incoming.mail.net) for email service. Up until this morning I too
have been getting huge dumps of spam. Now incoming messages stop at
number 20 (receiving 20 of 100, etc.) and everything between 1 and
20 repeatedly goes into the inbasket. Does anyone know of a remedy
for this problem ?
Regards,
RLK
This happens allot with email, there's a corrupt email or attachment
[probably #20] that your mail program doesn't like or not able to
download so this bad message needs deleted or the download to
complete with another mail program, if all mail doesn't complete and
then the mailbox cleanup after it self the mail will start to d/l
over and over again.
You can usually access your mail with another email program or via VZ
own web mail and either d/l them all so the mail box cleans up or
delete the [#20?] corrupt email or attachment that's causing this.

If its Outlook Express choking try going to VZ web mail and d/l all
your mail, or if web mail doesn't work install a copy of Mozilla
Thunderbird or whatever and try d/l them with it and if it completes
everything will be honkie-donkie again.

Or if Outlook Express is what's having problems go to VZ web mail and
read and delete all your mail and everything should be OK again.

Also there are other free web mail services that will let you access
your POP mailbox and d/l all the mail so its cleaned out or delete
the bad message causing it like www.web2mail.com use to work good for
this.
Patrick in IL.
- Bob -
2008-02-01 19:42:17 UTC
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:28:39 GMT, Patrick Phillips
Post by Patrick Phillips
Or if Outlook Express is what's having problems go to VZ web mail and
read and delete all your mail and everything should be OK again.
I'd go with that one - but just delete #20 or #21. It will be the
message with the giant attachment that is causing the problem. :-)
Gordon
2008-02-02 03:24:48 UTC
Post by Patrick Phillips
If its Outlook Express choking try going to VZ web mail and d/l all
your mail, or if web mail doesn't work install a copy of Mozilla
Thunderbird or whatever and try d/l them with it and if it completes
everything will be honkie-donkie again.
Just d/l and install T-bird and ditch OE (imho).

But no need to install and setup a separate e-mail client
to delete a corrupt message. Use Mail Washer and delete
the offending message directly off the server.
- Bob -
2008-02-02 19:54:39 UTC
Post by Gordon
Just d/l and install T-bird and ditch OE (imho).
But no need to install and setup a separate e-mail client
to delete a corrupt message. Use Mail Washer and delete
the offending message directly off the server.
Likewise, no need to install and configure Mailwasher. Just log in
with webmail and blow away the bad message.
Han
2008-02-02 20:18:50 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Post by Gordon
Just d/l and install T-bird and ditch OE (imho).
But no need to install and setup a separate e-mail client
to delete a corrupt message. Use Mail Washer and delete
the offending message directly off the server.
Likewise, no need to install and configure Mailwasher. Just log in
with webmail and blow away the bad message.
With mailwasher I see 10 or so accounts' email, and don't have to log into
each webmail interface separately.

I don't like webmail, handy though it may be from time to time. Mailwasher
and Eudora latest version 7 is what I like <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
n***@sysadmininc.com
2008-02-02 20:20:06 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Likewise, no need to install and configure Mailwasher. Just log in
with webmail and blow away the bad message.
No need to use a web browser, just telnet in and blow away your messages

telnet incoming.verizon.net 110

after the +OK message type

user <username>

where <username> is your Verzion username. You'll get the following
prompt: +OK password required for <***@verizon.net>

Now type

pass <password>

Where <password> is your Verizon password.

+OK Maildrop ready

LIST
gives you a list of messages

TOP <message> <lines>

Shows the top <number> of lines of message number <message>

RETR <message>

Shows the whole message

DELE <message>

This will delete that message
dele 1
+OK message deleted

QUIT
will log out.

Nifty stuff, eh? ;)
Han
2008-02-02 20:57:37 UTC
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by - Bob -
[...]
I don't use all Mailwasher's capabilities, but seeing all messages from
(in my case) up to 10 accounts is a lot easier I think than telnetting.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
n***@sysadmininc.com
2008-02-02 23:20:06 UTC
Post by Han
I don't use all Mailwasher's capabilities, but seeing all messages from
(in my case) up to 10 accounts is a lot easier I think than telnetting.
Very true, but I was talking about using it in an instance where you
have one bad message and don't use mailwasher.
- Bob -
2008-02-03 17:08:39 UTC
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by Han
I don't use all Mailwasher's capabilities, but seeing all messages from
(in my case) up to 10 accounts is a lot easier I think than telnetting.
Very true, but I was talking about using it in an instance where you
have one bad message and don't use mailwasher.
I don't disagree that Mailwasher and Telnet <BWG> are useable and
great tools for some users... but for the OP, a simple solution with
no software install is best.