caller ID
JXStern
2008-04-07 17:51:21 UTC
OK, excuse me for being a caveman (!), but the only caller id I've
ever used is on my cell. On my cell, I see a name only if I've
programmed in the number, otherwise I see only the caller's phone
number, or "restricted".

But the other day, on someone's (Fios) land line, I picked up the
phone, saw the caller's name - and it had not been pre-programmed!
So, wassup with that, and can I get it on my cell?

Thanks.

J.
Big Al
2008-04-07 18:21:49 UTC
Post by JXStern
OK, excuse me for being a caveman (!), but the only caller id I've
ever used is on my cell. On my cell, I see a name only if I've
programmed in the number, otherwise I see only the caller's phone
number, or "restricted".
But the other day, on someone's (Fios) land line, I picked up the
phone, saw the caller's name - and it had not been pre-programmed!
So, wassup with that, and can I get it on my cell?
Thanks.
J.
Caller ID is a feature supplied by the phone co. You have to first
subscribe. But if the equipment, meaning cell, landline, or even PC,
has the ability to request the phone #, it can be done and displayed.
The name and number are supplied by the phone co, not by the phone.
You do not program anything, you just need a caller-id compatible phone.
Anthony R. Gold
2008-04-07 18:28:56 UTC
Post by JXStern
OK, excuse me for being a caveman (!), but the only caller id I've
ever used is on my cell. On my cell, I see a name only if I've
programmed in the number, otherwise I see only the caller's phone
number, or "restricted".
But the other day, on someone's (Fios) land line, I picked up the
phone, saw the caller's name - and it had not been pre-programmed!
So, wassup with that, and can I get it on my cell?
Name+number caller ID is sent in Multiple Data Message Format (MDMF) and
you need to know whether your cellphone network can provide that and also
whether your handset can display it. Ask your cellphone network provider.

Tony
JXStern
2008-04-07 18:44:55 UTC
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:28:56 GMT, "Anthony R. Gold"
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Name+number caller ID is sent in Multiple Data Message Format (MDMF) and
you need to know whether your cellphone network can provide that and also
whether your handset can display it. Ask your cellphone network provider.
It's Verizon.

J.
Big Al
2008-04-07 19:00:21 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Name+number caller ID is sent in Multiple Data Message Format (MDMF) and
you need to know whether your cellphone network can provide that and also
whether your handset can display it. Ask your cellphone network provider.
It's Verizon.
J.
Ask your provider. You may have to subscribe and pay for the service.
It's either bundled in your service or optional. Call Verizon.