Groups Dropped From News Server
catalpa
2008-04-04 05:07:10 UTC
At least 23 groups have been dropped from the news server and I have no idea
which ones. I had 30,261 groups before I refreshed my group list and only
30,238 after. I don't know what the peak number of groups was as I haven't
refreshed my group list in over a month. I don't recall the number of groups
dropping before, other than when the Dutch dump groups and such were
eliminated years ago.

Anyone notice any missing groups?
D. Kirkpatrick
2008-04-04 05:25:09 UTC
Post by catalpa
At least 23 groups have been dropped from the news server and I have no idea
which ones. I had 30,261 groups before I refreshed my group list and only
30,238 after. I don't know what the peak number of groups was as I haven't
refreshed my group list in over a month. I don't recall the number of groups
dropping before, other than when the Dutch dump groups and such were
eliminated years ago.
Anyone notice any missing groups?
----

Groups possibly containing illegal content from the looks of things.

I just ran a check of deleted groups and got this:

alt.binaries.pictures.child
alt.binaries.pictures.child.erotica
alt.binaries.pictures.child.erotica.female
alt.binaries.pictures.child.erotica.male
alt.binaries.pictures.children
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.child
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.child.female
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.early-teens
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.early-teens.hardcore
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.hornyrob
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.lolita
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.pw-series
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.young
alt.binaries.pictures.kids
alt.binaries.pictures.lolita
alt.binaries.pictures.lolita.misc
alt.binaries.pictures.youth
alt.japanese.neojapan.fetish.lolita
alt.japanese.neojapan.fetish.lolita.anime
fido7.ru.lolita
japan.binaries.pictures.erotica.lolita
japan.binaries.pictures.lolita
japan.fetish.lolita
japan.psycology.lolita-complex

Though from the looks of the names a few may be a best guess unless
someone was leaning on coprporate.

I mean... "anime" ?? Toons?
catalpa
2008-04-04 21:28:37 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by catalpa
[...]
Thanks for the list. I assume that MT-NewsWatcher keeps track of deleted
groups.

I find the list very interesting because it looks like the groups were
removed because of the group names.

If those group names are objectionable then how do nasty groups like
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.child.male,
alt.binaries.pictures.sunshineboys, alt.sex.fetish.boyfeet and
alt.support.boy-lovers remain on the server? Does Verizon have lots of
NAMBLA members?

If Verizon is going to remove groups because of objectionable names rather
than objectionable content the worst groups will still be on the news
server.
D. Kirkpatrick
2008-04-06 02:31:08 UTC
Post by catalpa
Thanks for the list. I assume that MT-NewsWatcher keeps track of deleted
groups.
A plain text new client for older Mac systems, but it is also
available for OSX.

It reads a static list of newsgroups and remembers that list just like
any client. You can manually request a list of new adds, or deletes
since the last time you accessed the server. Checks for new adds can
be automated. However once that is done, the group list is summarily
updated, same as if the group list was freshly downloaded again, so
that was a one-shot deal.

FWIW I just did it again and this group has also now been deleted

alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.hornyrob.d

Interesting since the Horny Rob web site (google it) says it complies
with USC-18-2256 and 2257, meaning they maintain records to assure
that all models are 18 and over.

It may be that these groups were a bandwidth drain. :-))
Post by catalpa
I find the list very interesting because it looks like the groups were
removed because of the group names.
I guess a lot depends on where you place the term "lolita." If one
takes it by the film of the same name it would be rather young, but it
could be applied to someone dressing in younger clothing, as in "goth
lolita" or "loli-goth" which is a style of dress associated with
Japan-styled animation and which can easily be found in some dance
clubs depending on the city. Some of the people wearing that stuff
clearly are over age 18, and then some. :-))

What I laughed at was that one of the groups suggested it was Anime -
Japanese toons. There are adult Japanese adult toons out there, but
unless memory fails me, courts have ruled that cartoons don't count.
Post by catalpa
If those group names are objectionable then how do nasty groups like
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.child.male,
alt.binaries.pictures.sunshineboys, alt.sex.fetish.boyfeet and
alt.support.boy-lovers remain on the server? Does Verizon have lots of
NAMBLA members?
Given your post those may be next. :-)

I don't think that enters into it.

I've been on VOL for many years and this is not the first time
something like this has happened. Every so often someone or some
group issues complaints and someone in corporate gets leaned on. In
the end these things happen.

Keep in mind VOL sees Usenet as a throw in that is not necessarily
part of what you pay for.
Post by catalpa
If Verizon is going to remove groups because of objectionable names rather
than objectionable content the worst groups will still be on the news
server.
A good decade ago the Bavarian Government (in Germany) tried to hassle
Compuserve and get it to block its news servers from containing
certain content that it found undesirable. To press the issue they
actually arrested the President of Compuserve's German office.

Compuserve did on fact block the content to get their man out of jail.

However, those that wanted the content in question just dialed
elsewhere or got news elsewhere. In a couple of the groups people
started posting their content in similar chartered groups that were
not blocked as a proest against the government's actions.

At the time I was a system operator (SYSOP) or group administrator for
Compuserve and there was a whole closed board where we talked about
this. It showed that certain kinds of blocks, or eliminations of this
kind do nothing to stem the flow. At best all they do is indemnify
the carrier while the content moves elsewhere.

Of course by doing this, VOL reinforces that it is talking
responsibility for content and lessens its position as a common
carrier or conduit for content posted by other people.

Federal law and recent case history have reinforced that private
message board operators are not responsible for the content posted by
members, even the most private of them, nor are they expected to
determine accuracy of material so as to avoid libel of anyone. If
anything Usenet is at the extreme end of protection as far as a
carrier being held responsible for content.

It's sort of like a pitched roof. It redirects the rain - doesn't stop
it.
- Bob -
2008-04-04 19:46:33 UTC
Dude: Time to get a life
catalpa
2008-04-04 20:53:16 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Post by catalpa
At least 23 groups have been dropped from the news server and I have no idea
which ones. I had 30,261 groups before I refreshed my group list and only
30,238 after.
Dude: Time to get a life
The news groups are a service provided by Verizon and having part of that
service removed without an explanation is not desirable.
ROY!
Are you gonna be OK with only 30,238 to sift through?
catalpa
2008-04-04 20:57:04 UTC
Post by ROY!
Post by catalpa
At least 23 groups have been dropped from the news server and I have no idea
which ones. I had 30,261 groups before I refreshed my group list and only
30,238 after. I don't know what the peak number of groups was as I haven't
refreshed my group list in over a month. I don't recall the number of groups
dropping before, other than when the Dutch dump groups and such were
eliminated years ago.
Anyone notice any missing groups?
Are you gonna be OK with only 30,238 to sift through?
It is not the number of groups that I am interested in, it is the
explanation on why groups were removed. Verizon does not randomly add and
remove groups.
catalpa
2008-04-04 21:37:07 UTC
Post by catalpa
Post by ROY!
Post by catalpa
At least 23 groups have been dropped from the news server and I have no idea
which ones. I had 30,261 groups before I refreshed my group list and only
30,238 after. I don't know what the peak number of groups was as I haven't
refreshed my group list in over a month. I don't recall the number of groups
dropping before, other than when the Dutch dump groups and such were
eliminated years ago.
Anyone notice any missing groups?
Are you gonna be OK with only 30,238 to sift through?
It is not the number of groups that I am interested in, it is the
explanation on why groups were removed. Verizon does not randomly add and
remove groups.
I think the names of the groups would pretty much explain why they were
removed.
gls858
Verizon's policy has always been not to carry groups with objectionable
content, not just an objectionable name. If Verizon has changed their news
group policy they should inform their customers.

If the 23 removed group names are objectionable then how do nasty groups
ROY!
You ARE a newsgroup afficionado, eh?
catalpa
It is a matter of being aware of the legal aspects of the news groups.
- Bob -
2008-04-05 03:42:26 UTC
Post by catalpa
Post by ROY!
Post by catalpa
If the 23 removed group names are objectionable then how do nasty groups
like alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.child.male,
alt.binaries.pictures.sunshineboys, alt.sex.fetish.boyfeet and
alt.support.boy-lovers remain on the server?
You ARE a newsgroup afficionado, eh?
It is a matter of being aware of the legal aspects of the news groups.
WTF difference does it make? You are so far past anal retentive that
the rod up your ass has a rod up it's ass.
catalpa
Must be nice to be as absolutely clueless as you are.
- Bob -
2008-04-06 03:32:40 UTC
Post by catalpa
Post by - Bob -
WTF difference does it make? You are so far past anal retentive that
the rod up your ass has a rod up it's ass.
Must be nice to be as absolutely clueless as you are.
Not at all clueless. I'm actually rather knowledgeable. For example, I
can tell you have no life just by the fact that you are so deeply
concerned that a few newsgroups you don't even pay attention to (and
from a list VZ makes no guarantees about the length of) has changed.
Stephen Harris
2008-04-05 12:31:06 UTC
Post by catalpa
If the 23 removed group names are objectionable then how do nasty groups
like alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.child.male,
alt.binaries.pictures.sunshineboys, alt.sex.fetish.boyfeet and
alt.support.boy-lovers remain on the server?
Maybe because Verizon staff (people; remember) didn't bother to search
for any and all potentially objectional names? Maybe it was that a
_customer_ alerted Verizon to the original hierarchy? Maybe a mistake
happened? Maybe a rmgroup message came along and ended in Jeremy's
mailbox and he thought "OK!" and deleted the hierarchy. Maybe.... hell,
there are many many potential reasons.

If you're so concerned, send Jeremy an email with those groups listed
and if they meet whatever criteria Verizon uses for deletion then he'll
action them.

Verizon may be some big monolothic borg-like entity from the outside,
but it's still staffed with people.

Personally I've got absolutely no idea what all the fuss is about. The
alt hierarchy, in particular, is mostly unstable and any groups you find
there are "lucky" to get content :-)
--
Stephen Harris
An Englishman in New York
Now Available In New Jersey
laz
2008-04-25 11:19:39 UTC
Some of you jokers are missing the point here!
It has nothing to do with the names nor the content. That is an excuse we
hear all the time. After all, who is going to go out on the limb to say
that they enjoy the content in most all alt binary sites? Whether it be
music or pictures or movies. All are controversial so if content were the
true issue, they would all be cut. And they most likely will be by Verizon.
Jumping on the band wagon with the rest of the "MORAL MAJORITY" - right
guys?
Just like you all did just before the damn War started. A bunch of
hypocrites - all of you.
Many Verizon customers came to Verizon because Company History HAD been an
open newsgroup policy - or maybe they just had more Balls all those years.
At least that was what we all were told by their rep even back when DSL
first became available.
I left Comcast because when changed their newsgroup access, raised prices,
etc., and I was forced to get Giganews and elsewhere. We read that across
the Country that many ISP's are starting to cut high volume NGs to save
bandwidth. We hear that some drop their customers or force them with
limited access because of their high bandwidth usage. It sure appears that
Verizon now is following the same track. Save a little here and there. As
for me, if this continues, out of principle alone, once my two years are
up...
There are plenty of options out there and new companies will emerge that
will be more than happy to take up the slack. If Verizon and Comcast and
all those "Disney" owned firms do not want Newsgroup customers, they should
not be offering the service in the first place.
Just another "Bate and Switch" marketing ploy.
- Bob -
2008-04-25 14:35:56 UTC
Post by laz
Some of you jokers are missing the point here!
It has nothing to do with the names nor the content. That is an excuse we
hear all the time. After all, who is going to go out on the limb to say
that they enjoy the content in most all alt binary sites? Whether it be
music or pictures or movies. All are controversial so if content were the
true issue, they would all be cut. And they most likely will be by Verizon.
Jumping on the band wagon with the rest of the "MORAL MAJORITY" - right
guys?
"When they came for the alt.dutch.dump groups, I did not protest for I
was a not a user. When they came for the alt.kiddie.porn, I did not
protest, because I did not read kiddie porn. When they came for
alt.autos.binaries, there was no one left to help me" .
Post by laz
Just like you all did just before the damn War started. A bunch of
hypocrites - all of you.
Iraq War? Microsoft-Google War? War Between the States? Please
specify.
Post by laz
Many Verizon customers came to Verizon because Company History HAD been an
open newsgroup policy - or maybe they just had more Balls all those years.
At least that was what we all were told by their rep even back when DSL
first became available.
A very specious claim. No one at VZ knows what a newsgroup is outside
of Jeremy, the newsgroup admin.
Door. Ass. Bye.
James Silverton
2008-04-25 17:33:25 UTC
- wrote on Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:35:56 GMT:

??>> Some of you jokers are missing the point here!
??>> It has nothing to do with the names nor the content. That
??>> is an excuse we hear all the time. After all, who is
??>> going to go out on the limb to say that they enjoy the
??>> content in most all alt binary sites? Whether it be music
??>> or pictures or movies. All are controversial so if
??>> content were the true issue, they would all be cut. And
??>> they most likely will be by Verizon. Jumping on the band
??>> wagon with the rest of the "MORAL MAJORITY" - right guys?

B> "When they came for the alt.dutch.dump groups, I did not
B> protest for I was a not a user. When they came for the
B> alt.kiddie.porn, I did not protest, because I did not read
B> kiddie porn. When they came for alt.autos.binaries, there
B> was no one left to help me" .

That's a real trivialisation of Martin Niemöller

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
- Bob -
2008-04-25 21:15:42 UTC
Therein lies the point.
Twayne
2008-04-25 16:41:18 UTC
Woof. Obviously written by a myopic, lazy, "the world owes me anything
I want" dummy kiddie.

Post by laz
It has nothing to do with the names nor the content.
It? Nice writing style.

That is an
Post by laz
excuse we hear all the time.
That? That what?

Post by laz
the limb to say that they enjoy the content in most all alt binary
sites?
Me. There are a few I enjoy and participate in. If you think that
means kiddie porn and the like, well, that's your right, wrong as it is.
The last I looked "alt" did not mean "illegal" or "offensive".

Post by laz
controversial so if content were the true issue, they would all be
No, all are not controversial; you need to look again at the list.
alt.comp.lang, alt.php, alt.basic, alt.msdos.batch.nt come readily to
mind. What's "controversial" about those? Want me to list another few
hundred or thousand? I could, but so could you if you had a brain cell
or two.
Post by laz
cut. And they most likely will be by Verizon.
I'm talking ONLY about Verizon's lists. However, almost every other
decent list serves up the exact same subjects, add and drop the same
ones, so ... it's stupid to single out VZ. You have no actual idea why
many are dropped; that's obvious.

Jumping on the band
Post by laz
wagon with the rest of the "MORAL MAJORITY" - right guys?
No, wrong. And what's with the "right guys?". Excluding women? "Guys"
is a freindly term and you are not my friend, not even an acquaintance;
just some static on a newsgroup.
Post by laz
Just like you all did just before the damn War started.
Huh? What war? Wow, I bet you like to say "they" and "them" and
"those" a lot too, don't you?

A bunch of
Post by laz
hypocrites - all of you.
Why? And do you think your opinion makes a micro-shit to anyone reading
your tripe? You're the only hypocritical actor here so far.
Post by laz
Many Verizon customers came to Verizon because Company History HAD
been an open newsgroup policy - or maybe they just had more Balls all
those years. At least that was what we all were told by their rep
even back when DSL first became available.
Huh? I don't know what Verizon you talked to, or why one would choose a
server based solely on any statement like that when there are so many
other free ones out there that carry the same stuff VZ does/did, some
more, some less, but ALL under control of their respective operators,
same as you control your system.
Did you REALLY choose VZ because of its groups? If so, all I can say
is, well, get a life loser! Well, II think you are a loser, but more to
the point, I think you're a liar by innuendo and attempt to bait things
to go your way. Doesn't work with thinking people, you know.
Post by laz
I left Comcast because when changed their newsgroup access, raised
prices, etc., and I was forced to get Giganews and elsewhere. We
We? Who is "we"? There is no "we".
Post by laz
read that across the Country that many ISP's are starting to cut
high volume NGs to save bandwidth.
"read" where? In one of our own posts or somethning equally as
(un)reliable?
Well, even if it's true in some instances, so what? It's their right to
do that since they OWN the servers and CONTROL what their servers do and
serve.
IMO newsgroups aren't where priorities should be high anyway, so even
if a server decided to control access speeds, BFD; it's not really
important. When one's goals are to steal and othewise acquire
questionable content such as music and movies especially, I see nothing
wrong with throttling it down, especially in view of things like bit
torrents, multiple simultaneous connections, etc.. In fact, IMO, I see
no use of such material period and although I've used it a time or two
out of curiousity, I see no lasting value in such.
Your going from Comcast to VZ though, simply to access such
materials, is, well, a very stupid and ignorant decision showing your
lack of abilities to be a thinking person.

We hear that some drop their

Again , who is "we"? tinw
And who are "some". You seem to be attacking VZ but here and there
throw in a "some" and the like. Incredibly poor writing style.
Post by laz
customers or force them with limited access because of their high
bandwidth usage. It sure appears that Verizon now is following the
same track. Save a little here and there.
IMO it's better than further price increases. VZ used to be the only
game in town here; but now they are not, but ... they still have the
best prices and server reliability in my experience. Unlike you, I
don't claim to know other's experiences or what they may think. You
want your opinions to be everyone's opinions. Sometimes it appears by
"everyone" you mean everyone on this server, then at othere, to mean any
server. You're really not making a lot of sense about anything anyway,
so I guess it doesn't matter.

As for me, if this
Post by laz
continues, out of principle alone, once my two years are up...
There are plenty of options out there and new companies will emerge
that will be more than happy to take up the slack. If Verizon and
Comcast and all those "Disney" owned firms do not want Newsgroup
customers, they should not be offering the service in the first place.
Just another "Bate and Switch" marketing ploy.
"Bate"? Cute. You mean John Bates?
Personally I hope you manage to get out the door without getting your
sphincters caught in the mechanism when it closes behind you. Don't go
away mad, just go away. But that's enough with cliches.

I for one will never miss you and wish to thank you for the improvement
of this group by departing from it.

In addition, the short entertainment break I allowed myself to respond
to your troll bait is up, so I'll be leaving now and wont' be back to
troll, I mean, debate anything any further. Go ahead and flame all you
want; have a ball, but realize I don't care and won't be resonding to
you. Neither revenge nor animosity is my target; it's more giving back
in kind, and I'll bet that makes no sense to your puny little mind.
laz
2008-04-26 13:38:36 UTC
Well Mr. Harvard Graduate...
If you could read and comprehend as well, you'd have read many recent
articles in PC magazines discussing the how especially Disney owned
companies are pulling the plug on their high bandwidth users. That is if
you would get away from this newsgroup long enough to get up to speed with
reality?
Be proud of yourself, you found a few typos. Wow!
Could you please explain why in non-formal writing it is not acceptable to
start a sentence with the word "IT"?
Yeah I am a sexist bastard - I wrote "Guys". Next time I'll write "Peeps",
OK?
And yes, "Ronald Ragan was a very good friend of mine... you are no Ronald
Ragan". Sorry PAL.
Obviously you do not care about your rights as an American citizen and you
do not care how many of your rights will be eliminated by people who do not
represent the majority but insist on forcing their will on everyone?
If you had lived in a communist country like I, maybe you would be more
worried about your rights and freedom?
As for "controversial" at the least, most of what is contained in
Alt.Binaries is copyrighted material - duh!
As for me, I would like to rule the world and force everyone, except for you
to just get along, respect each other's right and privacy and live in
harmony with each other - except for you - I'd send you to Siberia.
Yes, it is Verizon's right to control content. It is my right to express my
thought about it and my right to switch if I feel that I am not getting my
money's worth. I am so tired of people telling each other to be politically
correct. F*** That! So there - now u see my narrow mindedness. Are you
happy? My "ID" has spoken!
Best Wishes - Sincerely - Buddy!
Post by laz
It has nothing to do with the names nor the content.
It? Nice writing style.
That is an
Post by laz
excuse we hear all the time.
That? That what?
Han
2008-04-26 14:05:25 UTC
Buddy
At least you are reviving a very old thread.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
- Bob -
2008-04-29 22:00:34 UTC
Post by laz
Obviously you do not care about your rights as an American citizen and you
do not care how many of your rights will be eliminated by people who do not
represent the majority but insist on forcing their will on everyone?
If you had lived in a communist country like I, maybe you would be more
worried about your rights and freedom?
You're confusing "human rights" with "business prerogative".

VZ is free to do whatever they want with their business service as
long as they comply with the terms of the contract I (we) agreed to.
They don't guarantee the number of newsgroups anywhere in the
contract.

If you lived in a communist country, you have my sympathies. Our Human
Rights here are guaranteed in our Bill of Rights and Constitution. Be
sure to vote against the neo-cons who have been regularly intruding on
our Rights and ignoring both the Constitution and the Bill of Rights
(Bush II, Cheney, Rove, and anyone associate with them).
Patrick Phillips
Patrick in IL.
Stephen Harris
2008-04-30 03:02:39 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Post by laz
Obviously you do not care about your rights as an American citizen and you
do not care how many of your rights will be eliminated by people who do not
represent the majority but insist on forcing their will on everyone?
If you had lived in a communist country like I, maybe you would be more
worried about your rights and freedom?
You're confusing "human rights" with "business prerogative".
VZ is free to do whatever they want with their business service as
long as they comply with the terms of the contract I (we) agreed to.
Hush now. Don't try and educate people about the difference between
constitutionally protected rights and use of commercial products. That
just ruins their self-righteous misdirected anger.

*tongue firmly in cheek*
--
Stephen Harris
An Englishman in New York
Now Available In New Jersey
Laz
2008-05-04 12:17:41 UTC
Post by Stephen Harris
Post by - Bob -
Post by laz
Obviously you do not care about your rights as an American citizen and you
do not care how many of your rights will be eliminated by people who do not
represent the majority but insist on forcing their will on everyone?
If you had lived in a communist country like I, maybe you would be more
worried about your rights and freedom?
You're confusing "human rights" with "business prerogative".
VZ is free to do whatever they want with their business service as
long as they comply with the terms of the contract I (we) agreed to.
Hush now. Don't try and educate people about the difference between
constitutionally protected rights and use of commercial products. That
just ruins their self-righteous misdirected anger.
If every term (in any service contract with newsgroup service providers or
ISP) were enforced to it's fullest, there would not be any Usenet or
Internet for that matter.
This is what we are heading toward - because many are so clueless to see
this coming.
On the Usenet, Cross from porn sites would mandate that all newsgroups be
pulled - per "business prerogative".

Other than my concern for the destruction of the Internet / Usenet, we are
forced with legal issues when a bundle of services are cut without
compensation nor the right to cancel your contract without penalty.

The objection is that once you are lead to believe that a certain service is
available within the package you are paying for, it by right should remain
available, otherwise, at the least, by right, the price of the service
should be adjusted down (not up).

When I sign up for a separate Usenet provider who advertises that they do
not tamper with content, all their contract have similar verbiage to what is
in Venison's. The difference is that those contracts are Month to Month so
I have the ability to get out without penalty. See the legal issues here?

Jeremy would be bitching big time it he signed up to a cell provider that
advertised "Unlimited Free National Calling" - But then after 180 days into
a two year contract they started to charge, or worse yet eliminate, that
service.
This is what is happening to all of us and most with any ability to do
anything about it are perfectly OK with it - or they are just have their
head up someone else's ass and are clueless.
Post by Stephen Harris
*tongue firmly in cheek*
--
Stephen Harris