Verizon Pleasantville, NJ area started blocking outbound SMTP?
John
2009-09-25 18:56:35 UTC
On Tuesday, September 22, 2009, Verizon started blocking
my outbound SMTP servers to Earthlink, and IX WebHosting,
and probably anything non-Verizon.

I use Verizon DSL only as WebTone (or NetTone as I include
working email protocols too!) and never installed their
packages or use any verizon.net email addresses.

Of course, their customer service is customer disservice
and although I now have gotten their attention, they are
clueless as to how to actually help me.

I tried setting my outbound smtp server to outgoing.verizon.net
but that fails too. I tried some TLS settings, and who knows
what else now, but to no success.

Can anyone suggest how to get back my email client (Thunderbird)
ability to send email? (all else still seems to work, My email
at Earthlink and IXWebhosting download just fine).

Or, is there a better independent (of Verizon) source of technical
assistance than here?

Thanks!
Oppie
2009-09-28 18:06:38 UTC
All the accounts I've had in the past would receive mail from any account
(pop), Outgoing mail (smtp) was another matter. They only allowed sending on
one of their own email accounts. Looks like this is beginning to happen
within Verizon too now. I personally haven't seen it yet (White Plains, NY).

I have a similar problem at the office where it will not send Verizon mails
but will receive from all accounts I have. The admin blocked the SMTP port
(which is the only one that can be used with Vz iirc). This leaves either
webmail (my method of last resort) or a gmail account that I have. Gmail
(IMAP) when set up in a mail reader client, uses non-standard ports and has
no problems getting in/out. I also have a hotmail account using http mail.
These are all running under Windows live mail that I much prefer over
Vista's Windows Mail (that one doesn't handle hotmail).

Windows live mail and all the goodies you can get with it can be found at
http://download.live.com
They have a good sync between computers. Need to get a windows passport or
hotmail account that serves as a passport to make the most of the program.
When you download the components, it lets you choose what you want. I only
use the mail portion so didn't bother with the rest.
Thanks!
Oppie
2009-09-28 18:23:05 UTC
I should also mention that the Vz internal 0.verizon.discussion-general
group is about to die at the end of September when Vz shuts down usenet
service. The group which you sent your message on is carried by several
servers but is not mirrored from the official verizon server.

If you read news from another server, the group of choice for Vz discussions
is now news:alt.online-service.verizon
John
2009-09-29 00:41:27 UTC
Post by Oppie
I should also mention that the Vz internal 0.verizon.discussion-general
group is about to die at the end of September when Vz shuts down usenet
service. The group which you sent your message on is carried by several
servers but is not mirrored from the official verizon server.
If you read news from another server, the group of choice for Vz
discussions is now news:alt.online-service.verizon
Not carried by earthlink news server. I'll try to put in a request,
but I'm not hopeful...
John
2009-09-29 02:04:17 UTC
Post by John
Post by Oppie
I should also mention that the Vz internal
0.verizon.discussion-general group is about to die at the end of
September when Vz shuts down usenet service. The group which you sent
your message on is carried by several servers but is not mirrored from
the official verizon server.
If you read news from another server, the group of choice for Vz
discussions is now news:alt.online-service.verizon
Not carried by earthlink news server. I'll try to put in a request,
but I'm not hopeful...
I was wrong. After a refresh of news groups in Thunderbird, it
appeared. :-)

John
2009-09-29 00:34:51 UTC
Post by Oppie
All the accounts I've had in the past would receive mail from any
account (pop), Outgoing mail (smtp) was another matter. They only
allowed sending on one of their own email accounts. Looks like this is
beginning to happen within Verizon too now. I personally haven't seen it
yet (White Plains, NY).
After much aggravation, and NO HELP AT ALL from Verizon, I finally
figured out how to fix it. Sure would have helped if they sent me
a notice first.

After converting all my accounts to use outgoing.verizon.net and
changing the outbound port from 25 to 587, I got it to work again,
but I had to give the password I have on outgoing.verizon.net.

BUT, later I discovered I DON'T NEED outgoing.verizon.net at all. I only
had to do was change from port 25 to 587 on the third party email
servers I already used. A change that can be made in 30 seconds. I
spent four or five days trying to get Verizon support, and still
have none!!!

Verizon service is really the pitts!!! And no notification seals it!!!