Verison News Servers??
nick
2008-01-22 16:10:08 UTC
Anybody else out there find that newsgroups read from the
Verizon.net news server are out of date when compared to
the same groups from another server such as news.motzarella.org??
Bit Twister
2008-01-22 16:20:26 UTC
Post by nick
Anybody else out there find that newsgroups read from the
Verizon.net news server are out of date when compared to
the same groups from another server such as news.motzarella.org??
I would believe it if server is pulling them in as fast as I can download
them. :(

I think I saw a 114B/s download at one time Monday or Sunday.
D. Kirkpatrick
2008-01-22 18:50:26 UTC
So, like that server has about 10 newsgroups?
Bit Twister
2008-01-22 19:35:28 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by nick
Anybody else out there find that newsgroups read from the
Verizon.net news server are out of date when compared to
the same groups from another server such as news.motzarella.org??
So, like that server has about 10 newsgroups?
Sounds like a lose nut between the keyboard and chair. :-D

Please do not tell my news reader that, it shows I have
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_motz
30581 .jnewsrc_motz

groups in my list.
D. Kirkpatrick
I show 30,253 on VOL's.
n***@sysadmininc.com
2008-01-23 07:20:09 UTC
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by Bit Twister
Please do not tell my news reader that, it shows I have
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_motz
30581 .jnewsrc_motz
I show 30,253 on VOL's.
Looks like they're getting rid of groups as we speak.

[***@wibble]$ wc -l /home/me/.newsrc
30201 /home/me/.newsrc
Bit Twister
2008-01-23 07:52:25 UTC
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by Bit Twister
Please do not tell my news reader that, it shows I have
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_motz
30581 .jnewsrc_motz
I show 30,253 on VOL's.
Looks like they're getting rid of groups as we speak.
30201 /home/me/.newsrc
Looking like tin needs a refresh :-)

$ wc -l .jnewsrc_vr
30253 .jnewsrc_vr
Max
2008-01-26 16:11:48 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:52:25 GMT, Bit Twister
Post by Bit Twister
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by Bit Twister
Please do not tell my news reader that, it shows I have
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_motz
30581 .jnewsrc_motz
I show 30,253 on VOL's.
Looks like they're getting rid of groups as we speak.
30201 /home/me/.newsrc
Looking like tin needs a refresh :-)
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_vr
30253 .jnewsrc_vr
Verizon sucks. I use Forte for $2.95 a month and get
43,956 groups.
- Bob -
2008-01-27 22:36:35 UTC
Can you read that many groups in a month?
Max
2008-01-28 02:59:16 UTC
only the ones that interest me.
Jay Weedon
2008-01-28 12:22:25 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
Post by Bit Twister
Please do not tell my news reader that, it shows I have
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_motz
30581 .jnewsrc_motz
I show 30,253 on VOL's.
Looks like they're getting rid of groups as we speak.
30201 /home/me/.newsrc
Looking like tin needs a refresh :-)
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_vr
30253 .jnewsrc_vr
Verizon sucks. I use Forte for $2.95 a month and get
43,956 groups.
Forte APN is a good service. Actually better right now for the money
is Basic Newsguy, which costs $40 per year for 10GB/month; unlike APN,
that price includes unlimited free header downloads, and what you
don't use in a month carries forward to the future. Other features:
Binary group retention is a lot longer than APN's, and the service has
its own binary group search/download web engine.

I have no vested interests in this stuff.

JW
ROY!
Yeah, but does Newsguy offer like 43,956 groups, huh??
gls858
2008-01-29 16:54:29 UTC
Post by ROY!
Post by Jay Weedon
Post by Max
Post by Bit Twister
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by D. Kirkpatrick
I show 30,253 on VOL's.
Looks like they're getting rid of groups as we speak.
30201 /home/me/.newsrc
Looking like tin needs a refresh :-)
$ wc -l .jnewsrc_vr
30253 .jnewsrc_vr
Verizon sucks. I use Forte for $2.95 a month and get
43,956 groups.
Forte APN is a good service. Actually better right now for the money
is Basic Newsguy, which costs $40 per year for 10GB/month; unlike APN,
that price includes unlimited free header downloads, and what you
Binary group retention is a lot longer than APN's, and the service has
its own binary group search/download web engine.
I have no vested interests in this stuff.
JW
Yeah, but does Newsguy offer like 43,956 groups, huh??
Well the site says 70,00 plus but it also shows the basic package
at 7.95 a month not $40/year.

http://www.newsguy.com/

gl858

Claude Balls
2008-01-25 07:48:22 UTC
No problems like that here. Seems to be pretty quick.