Funny experience setting up account on Linux Machine!
vern
2008-01-30 06:39:12 UTC
I gave my Windoz to a friend and kept the Linux Fedora one.
But like a dummy, i reset the modem. OOPS!
Time to activatemydsl!
I decided to call tech support at midnight.
Sorry, you don't have Windoz!
I know, it's Fedora! Well, you have to have Windoz to setup your account!
I'm a little bit smart. I set up my username and password on the Windoz
machine, so i knew them. I researched every Linux forum i could
on library computer.
Then i went to 192.168.1.1 and clicked on trouble shooting.
I saw a bunch of invalid dns entry's.
I remembered i saw dns in VC. Yep, that did it!
The main thing that helped other than setting dns was i port foward "http"
to my user supplied dns and i'm online using Linux.
I tested it and reset the modem and set it up again!
Those Tech Support and Accounts/billing in Iran just read the script and
said:
"you must have Windoz or Mac!"
Patrick Phillips
2008-01-30 08:16:39 UTC
Post by vern
[...]
Welcome to VZ...what can make VZ.net access confusing for new users is
they use two different types of network DSL protocols in 2 different
areas of the US.
One for the former Bell Atlantic/New York telco networks mostly on
east coast use a PPPoE protocol which requires a network log-in with
username/password; and then us former GTE telco area users who are on
DHCP network not requiring a username/password to connect.

It seems no large ISP's officially support anything other than Win/Mac
for residential accounts anyway. Maybe someday when there are more
home Linux users like us they will. :-)
Patrick in IL.
Geoff
2008-01-30 14:21:08 UTC
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:16:39 GMT, Patrick Phillips
Post by Patrick Phillips
Post by vern
[...]
What is even more fun is when getting FiOS a couple years ago in the
fGTE area I went from DHCP on DSL to PPPoE on FiOS. Today, if you
subscribe to FiOS in fGTE a few blocks from me you will get DHCP.

Life is like a box of chocolates and so is Verizon methodology.
Tom
2008-01-30 13:25:57 UTC
Post by vern
[...]
When they heard I had a router they told me that "linksys routers don't
work, you must purchase a modem/router combination from Verizon".
LinkSys's legal department loved hearing that one.
Elmo
2008-01-30 23:51:58 UTC
Post by vern
[...]
Since I have a DSL modem/router combination, it has the PPP connection
data stored in it. It stays connected and re-connects as needed even
when all the PC's in the house are powered off. When I had to re-set
it, I used it's HTML interface to re-configure the PPP settings. So
you should be able to do the same.
--
Many people would sooner die than think.
In fact they do. -- Bertrand Russell