need help
HeadHunter
2008-01-29 15:56:54 UTC
Ok, I recently had to reformat my C Drive, I have all the same settings as I
did before. Yet while downloading biniaries, I've been getting crc32
errors. I'm using powergrab by the way. These errors are often the same
errors one would get if the harddrive was full, I have 700 gigs of hard
drive space, with 320 gigs available on two partitions.
Twayne
2008-01-29 16:22:41 UTC
Post by HeadHunter
Ok, I recently had to reformat my C Drive, I have all the same
settings as I did before. Yet while downloading biniaries, I've been
getting crc32 errors. I'm using powergrab by the way. These errors
are often the same errors one would get if the harddrive was full, I
have 700 gigs of hard drive space, with 320 gigs available on two
partitions.
May or may not be a problem at your end; could be transfer corruption.
Try a standard browser and see if you have the same problems; if so,
it's a downloading issue.
--
Twayne

Tired of MS Office and their shananigans?
Try this free replacement:
http://www.openoffice.org
- Bob -
2008-01-29 21:58:44 UTC
Post by HeadHunter
Ok, I recently had to reformat my C Drive, I have all the same settings as I
did before. Yet while downloading biniaries, I've been getting crc32
errors. I'm using powergrab by the way. These errors are often the same
errors one would get if the harddrive was full, I have 700 gigs of hard
drive space, with 320 gigs available on two partitions.
Why did you format the drive? Were there drive errors? If so, you may
be seeing that they are still there.
HeadHunter
2008-01-30 05:42:59 UTC
Wow, didn't think of that one Bob, thank you , I'll check that out

Ryan S. Thiele
2008-02-01 03:24:00 UTC
CRC32 errors are validation errors. Since binaries are encoded (usually in
yenc), the crc check is failing on the download.

To put it in simple terms. It's the newsgroup. Your article may not be
indexed by the news server, so when the program asks for let's say article
#3142, the news server is saying it doesn't exist. Thus, you get an error
since the entire file is not there.

The only work around is to download all the headers, and compile the
messages. Some program will do this for you. I use Giganews Binary Reader.

Hope this helps,
Ryan S. Thiele
HeadHunter
2008-02-04 01:00:53 UTC
Ok, I thought my network settings needed to be tweaked, turns out they are
fine, I thought it was the servers I was going through...verizon, they seem
to be fine also since I am on easynews now and seem to be getting the same
thing, also checked my harddrives for errors, they are working
perfectly.....I'm at my wits end ! HELP !
Ryan S. Thiele
Patrick Phillips
2008-02-04 01:54:12 UTC
Post by HeadHunter
Ok, I recently had to reformat my C Drive, I have all the same
settings as I
did before. Yet while downloading biniaries, I've been getting
crc32 errors. I'm using powergrab by the way. These errors are often
the same errors one would get if the harddrive was full, I have 700
gigs of hard drive space, with 320 gigs available on two partitions.
If your getting CRC errors on downloads check your DSL settings for
the MTU [maximum transmission unit] value, its 1500 for VZ network
DHCP area users..DHCP is mostly in former GTE telco area.

And those in former Bell Atlantic and NY area who use PPPoE the MTU
must be 1492 or lower...99% set it at 1492.

PPPoE connection settings locations are probably found in your
modem/router or Windows or whatever is doing the network login for
you.
--
Patrick in IL.