Experience with a power outage and an Actiontec router
James Silverton
2008-04-22 15:46:46 UTC
Hello, All!

We had a power outage in my area early this morning. Practically
everything came back up properly, including FIOS TV and phone,
except for the FIOS internet connection thro' an Actiontec
router. The internet light was yellow (trying to connect)
despite rebooting more than once. I must say that going thro'
the phone menu suggestions was not too onerous but didn't work.

I was passed to a live technician at that point and, after
reading off requested information from programs I did not know I
possessed, the tech. reset my router and called me back within
two minutes as promised. I still don't really know what happened
to the router but all is currently well. I wish I could find out
more about what went on since I am never comfortable with a
"black-box" approach.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
Bill Sharpe
2008-04-22 18:14:50 UTC
Post by James Silverton
[...]
I've had FiOS Internet for about a year now with just a couple of router
reboots required in that time. Turn off router, unplug router, wait a
minute, replug router, turn on router seems to work fine.

Bill
Bob Doherty
2008-04-23 09:42:07 UTC
Post by Bill Sharpe
Post by James Silverton
[...]
I think that in general (and in case of difficulties), it is better to
turn off everything, then first turn on the modem/router, before
rebooting the computer. Sometimes it is necessary to wait 5 minutes with
power off, and powercords unplugged to make certain all the equipment has
"lost" its settings (except those stored in non-volatile memory).
In the several years I've had FiOS, perhaps twice these symptoms
occurred. In both cases the ONT needed to be rebooted which was done
remotely. These instances also happened early on before the FiOS
support was shipped offshore and preceded the ActionTech routers (they
were distributing Dlink DI624s.)
Bob Doherty
James Silverton
2008-04-23 12:31:16 UTC
Han wrote on Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:06:35 GMT:

??>> James Silverton wrote:
??>>> Hello, All!
??>>>
[...]
??>>
??>> I've had FiOS Internet for about a year now with just a
??>> couple of router reboots required in that time. Turn off
??>> router, unplug router, wait a minute, replug router, turn
??>> on router seems to work fine.
??>>
??>> Bill
??>>
H> I think that in general (and in case of difficulties), it is
H> better to turn off everything, then first turn on the
H> modem/router, before rebooting the computer. Sometimes it
H> is necessary to wait 5 minutes with power off, and
H> powercords unplugged to make certain all the equipment has
H> "lost" its settings (except those stored in non-volatile
H> memory).

The recipe for success in a reboot may be a longer wait with the
power turned off. I used the recommended 30 seconds as I have
done successfully in the past and I called up Verizon because
that did not work. However, the apparent cause of the problem
was a complete power outage considerably longer than 5 minutes.
I will try a longer power-off time if it becomes necessary
again.