Low-cost dial-up ? ? ?
Ray
2008-04-09 13:21:36 UTC
I need a dial-up service for use when I'm traveling -- which is very
infrequent, maybe three times a year, for just a few days.

I have heard there is an inexpensive service which charges only in the
months that it is used.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
n***@sysadmininc.com
Netzero. 10 free hours per month. Great if you just want to check email.
Ray
D. Kirkpatrick
2008-04-09 17:15:26 UTC
Post by Ray
I need a dial-up service for use when I'm traveling -- which is very
infrequent, maybe three times a year, for just a few days.
I have heard there is an inexpensive service which charges only in the
months that it is used.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?
www.surfbest.net

I had them before I got DSL. Fairly reliable.

$12.50/month with plenty of network numbers across the country.

They have a Broadband failure dial-up back-up option for just
$3.99/month which gives you a set number of hours connect time.

There is also NetZero which has a free option for limited connect time.
Ray

- Bob -
2008-04-11 05:18:16 UTC
Post by Ray
I set up a free Netzero account and I think it probably will serve my needs.
-- Ray
Best of luck. I have a friend who has Netzero on a paid arrangement
(no DSL or FiOS where he is). He has repeated troubles with Netzero's
modem's not answering at times. He's experienced several multi-day
outages where Netzero says only "we're working on it".

It might be OK as a backup but I would not rely on them if you need
access for business when traveling.

JJ
www.panera.com
Raoul Watson
2008-04-10 12:27:58 UTC
Post by Ray
I need a dial-up service for use when I'm traveling -- which is very
infrequent, maybe three times a year, for just a few days.
I have heard there is an inexpensive service which charges only in the
months that it is used.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?
This one charges only when you USE it.. (and it works international)
http://www.mytravelaccess.com/learnmore.htm

Depending on where you are travelling, it may be cheaper to just get a wifi
card. Big cities like New York has so many free access point to include
public libraries. I have also stayed in many hoyels (to include cheap ones)
providing free Internet access.
Marilyn & Bob
2008-04-10 13:42:41 UTC
Post by Raoul Watson
Post by Ray
I need a dial-up service for use when I'm traveling -- which is very
infrequent, maybe three times a year, for just a few days.
I have heard there is an inexpensive service which charges only in the
months that it is used.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?
This one charges only when you USE it.. (and it works international)
http://www.mytravelaccess.com/learnmore.htm
Depending on where you are travelling, it may be cheaper to just get a
wifi card. Big cities like New York has so many free access point to
include public libraries. I have also stayed in many hoyels (to include
cheap ones) providing free Internet access.
Also in NYC you can get a completely free unlimited dial-up account with
MetConnect http://www.metconnect.com/ . I suppose if you have access to
phone line that does not charge for long distance calls, you can use it from
places other than NYC as well.
--
Peace,
BobJ