Download Speed dropped in half since about Feb 13th (north of Philadelphia)
T Pagano
2008-02-23 22:05:54 UTC
Like Sharon I've been experiencing download speed problems since about
Feb 13th (give or take a few days.) I noticed web pages were not
downloading as quickly as normal. Speed tests with Verizon and at
DSLreports are consistent and running at roughly half of the speed I
pay for (768/128). I've been a VerizonDSL customer in Bethlehem, PA
(70 miles north of Philadelphia) for about 8 years and speed tests
usually run just below the paid for speed for the entire time.

I'm using a Linksys WRTS4G wireless router/switch with a Westall 6000
ethernet modem/bridge. Both are only a year old and have been working
fine. I'm using an HP Desktop (only about a year old) running
WindowsVista which hasn't had any problems.

Tried all the usual quick fixes without change. Planning to go
outside the house at the Verizon box with a laptop and my Westall 6000
to see if speed tests are any different. Before doing that I did a
few line quality tests at DSLreports and found significant packet
losses occurring at verizon hops in both east coast and west coast
tests. Also in the process of running a 24 hour smokePing test at
DSLreports which is only a few hours in but is showing significant
packet losses from a NY target.

I don't know what the DSLreports mean exactly or how accurate they
are, but the results sound like a Verizon problem. Over the last two
days I tried to check the network status at the Verizon Central
On-line web page and that service hasn't been working.
verizon
2008-02-23 23:48:52 UTC
Post by T Pagano
[...]
Lots of "funny" stuff going on with VZ this last month for some reason.
Access to the Verizon newsgroups suddenly stopped working for no reason;
couldn't even fix it by pulling in earlier disk images I know it worked
on.
After a lot of ladder climbing I finally was led to some guru at MS
who said the the "targetter" in their servers was at fault: He replaced
my normal VZ username with a series of unintelligible characters, and
voila, it started working immediately. Turns out it's like text URLs
being looked up and turned into an IP number; same thing happens when
you go to their newsgroups, only their server bollixed mine somehow. He
said to give it a week or so and then try my old username again and see
if it'd work. Funny thing is, it's only news.verzion... that's an
issue; VZ accounts, e-mail, etc., all still use my original username
fine; just not their newsgroups.
I'm in the process of migrating away from the VZ groups; most can be
found elsewhere other than a small number of the specials.

FWIW,
Twayne
FWIW,
T Pagano
2008-02-24 04:39:56 UTC
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:48:52 GMT, "verizon"
Post by verizon
Post by T Pagano
[...]
I haven't had any trouble using the Verizon email server for personal
email---ever. I've used the verizon news server sporatically over
the last 8 years and have had periodic problems with verizon's
handling of moderated newsgroups which has knocked them out. I
haven't noticed any problems using the verizon news server (moderated
or non moderated) over the last week.

I've had some success in getting verizon news server problems
addressed by posting to the 0.v.newsgroup.requests. In the past a
knowledgeable verizon tech person has monitored and resolved the
problems. I've given up on calling verizon tech support on the phone.

Regards,