Is Verizon Anti-Mac?
Jim Naeve
2008-03-29 15:43:40 UTC
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating proprietary
websites that use Windows specific technology. All of Verizon's
"features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and appear to
purposely exclude Mac's.

Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
empire Microsoft ROFL
Geoff
2008-03-29 16:04:43 UTC
Post by Jim Naeve
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating proprietary
websites that use Windows specific technology. All of Verizon's
"features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and appear to
purposely exclude Mac's.
Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
empire Microsoft ROFL
What tools?

Most of the Verizon software for the PC, like their CDROM for
instance, are broken and can be a bigger problem than a solution. Do
you really want this in your Mac?

Besides, if you believe Apple, the Mac is already perfect and needs no
adjustment or "tuning". It just works.

I have an iMac 20" Core Duo and it works fine. I did end up tweaking
the TCP/IP stack a little for optimizing with FiOS speeds but I didn't
need Verizon's help to do it.
David H. Lipman
2008-03-29 16:50:09 UTC
From: "Jim Naeve" <***@verizon.net>

| I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
| minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
| how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating proprietary
| websites that use Windows specific technology. All of Verizon's
| "features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and appear to
| purposely exclude Mac's.
|
| Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
| empire Microsoft ROFL

Internet access is based upon TCP/IP and is OS independent. Windows is the most common OS
and Verizon provides Windows centric software. However nobody needs Verizon software to
access the Internet so it is a moot point.
--
Dave
Big Al
Its anti-firefox. I'll tell you that much.
Bit Twister
2008-03-29 20:52:43 UTC
Post by Big Al
Its anti-firefox. I'll tell you that much.
Hmm, works for me. Running Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mandriva linux.
Then again, after I set up my accounts, and kept finding
This tool is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
there was nothing else of interest on their site.
Have not been back since.
All the flash junk makes the site too slow for my tastes.
Big Al
2008-03-29 21:06:50 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
Post by Big Al
Its anti-firefox. I'll tell you that much.
Hmm, works for me. Running Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mandriva linux.
Then again, after I set up my accounts, and kept finding
This tool is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
there was nothing else of interest on their site.
Have not been back since.
All the flash junk makes the site too slow for my tastes.
Maybe that's my issue. Of course I have windows. But...Still firefox.
I used to have a local cable co. They had great user help pages.
PDF's on the setup, help files, etc.
Twayne
2008-04-03 16:25:31 UTC
Post by Big Al
Its anti-firefox. I'll tell you that much.
How so? Nary a single problem here with FF; use it a LOT for a LOT of
things/places. Are you sure you don't have a system problem? I'd be
interested in what problems FF could have this way.
--
Regards,

Twayne

Open Office isn't just for wimps anymore;
OOo is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org
Chris Johnson
2008-03-29 19:29:25 UTC
Post by Jim Naeve
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating proprietary
websites that use Windows specific technology. All of Verizon's
"features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and appear to
purposely exclude Mac's.
Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
empire Microsoft ROFL
It's really more like anti-anything-that's-not-IE. I personally use Opera
but I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon.
But I don't care too much because I don't need those sites or tools. The
services they are giving you work on any system because they use the
standards of TCP/IP. You don't even have to use their router if you don't
want to (No way I'm going to use that thing.)
Han
2008-03-29 20:25:45 UTC
Post by Chris Johnson
I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon.
I like speakeasy much better than Verizon.
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
David H. Lipman
2008-03-29 22:41:39 UTC
From: "Han" <***@nospam.not>

Post by Chris Johnson
I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon.

| I like speakeasy much better than Verizon.
| http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Ditto!
--
Dave
Geoff
2008-03-29 20:57:55 UTC
Post by Chris Johnson
I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon
Huh? What does the browser have to do with a speed test? Most speed
tests use a java applet. As long as your browser supports Java you
don't need Verizon's junkware. Personally, I like to use a nearby FTP
server with a nice fat pipe. I get a nice flat 16.1 Mbps on a download
of a single Linux CD image.
Chris Johnson
2008-03-29 23:08:00 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Chris Johnson
I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon
Huh? What does the browser have to do with a speed test? Most speed
tests use a java applet. As long as your browser supports Java you
don't need Verizon's junkware. Personally, I like to use a nearby FTP
server with a nice fat pipe. I get a nice flat 16.1 Mbps on a download
of a single Linux CD image.
Ok, it seems as if the speedtest.verizon.net is actually working on
Opera now. I swear it wouldn't work before. Wait...I spoke too soon.
I just got the results and it says "Your Speed Result: NaN Mbps" for
upload and download.

I do use other speedtests as well, usually just downloading a few
files at a time from Nvidia, Microsoft and some other big site.
Geoff
2008-03-29 23:58:29 UTC
Post by Chris Johnson
Post by Geoff
Post by Chris Johnson
I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon
Huh? What does the browser have to do with a speed test? Most speed
tests use a java applet. As long as your browser supports Java you
don't need Verizon's junkware. Personally, I like to use a nearby FTP
server with a nice fat pipe. I get a nice flat 16.1 Mbps on a download
of a single Linux CD image.
Ok, it seems as if the speedtest.verizon.net is actually working on
Opera now. I swear it wouldn't work before. Wait...I spoke too soon.
I just got the results and it says "Your Speed Result: NaN Mbps" for
upload and download.
NaN = Not a Number. Looks like there's a bug in their (Verizon's)
server side code. The results page is all images, filled from the
server side application via client side javascript. I don't hack web
so that's all I can say.
Post by Chris Johnson
I do use other speedtests as well, usually just downloading a few
files at a time from Nvidia, Microsoft and some other big site.
Yes. I use speakeasy.net for quick sample, FTP and other web sites for
realistic peformance checks. Verizon is fine but I don't have a
running history with their site so their numbers (a bit higher than
speakeasy's L.A. server) are not significant to me.
Curtis R Anderson
2008-03-30 03:02:12 UTC
Post by Chris Johnson
Post by Geoff
Post by Chris Johnson
I have to open up IE if I want to do even a speedtest with Verizon
Huh? What does the browser have to do with a speed test? Most speed
tests use a java applet. As long as your browser supports Java you
don't need Verizon's junkware. Personally, I like to use a nearby FTP
server with a nice fat pipe. I get a nice flat 16.1 Mbps on a download
of a single Linux CD image.
Ok, it seems as if the speedtest.verizon.net is actually working on
Opera now. I swear it wouldn't work before. Wait...I spoke too soon.
I just got the results and it says "Your Speed Result: NaN Mbps" for
upload and download.
I do use other speedtests as well, usually just downloading a few
files at a time from Nvidia, Microsoft and some other big site.
I watch how fast I can do an ftp transfer via ncftp while downloading
something large like gcc from ftp.gnu.org. I'll get very close to my DSL
connection speed.
--
Curtis R. Anderson, Co-creator of "Gleepy the Hen", still
Email not munged, SpamAssassin [tm] in effect.
mailto:***@gleepy.net (and others) Yahoo!: gleepythehen
Elmo
2008-03-30 18:48:22 UTC
Post by Jim Naeve
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating proprietary
websites that use Windows specific technology. All of Verizon's
"features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and appear to
purposely exclude Mac's.
Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
empire Microsoft ROFL
What in the world do you need the verizon site for?
Mail servers use standard interfaces.
I have to check their spam trap about twice a month and it doesn't
seem to care what browser I use.
--
Politics depends on our ability to persuade each other of
common aims based on a common reality. It involves the
compromise, the art of what's possible.
- Bob -
2008-04-01 21:37:28 UTC
Post by Elmo
Post by Jim Naeve
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating proprietary
websites that use Windows specific technology. All of Verizon's
"features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and appear to
purposely exclude Mac's.
Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
empire Microsoft ROFL
What in the world do you need the verizon site for?
Mail servers use standard interfaces.
I have to check their spam trap about twice a month and it doesn't
seem to care what browser I use.
Besides, Mac's suck. No one should use one of those overpriced,
proprietary, out of the mainstream, boat anchors.
Jim Naeve
2008-04-04 12:57:49 UTC
Gee Bob, its unfortunate you've never used one of the new Macs to make
such a vehement claim. I used to be a Microsoft Certified Systems
Engineer (MCSE) in the late 90's and have built many computers myself so
I know my way around a Wintel box. In 2003, I just gave up on the
high-maintenance of Windows and decided to try Mac and never looked back.

Before you slam something you know nothing about, maybe you should make
a trip to an Apple store and give a new iMac a try.
Anthony R. Gold
2008-04-04 16:08:15 UTC
Post by Jim Naeve
Gee Bob, its unfortunate you've never used one of the new Macs to make
such a vehement claim. I used to be a Microsoft Certified Systems
Engineer (MCSE) in the late 90's and have built many computers myself so
I know my way around a Wintel box. In 2003, I just gave up on the
high-maintenance of Windows and decided to try Mac and never looked back.
ISTM you now have a problem or you would not have started this thread.

Tony
- Bob -
2008-04-04 19:45:53 UTC
Post by Jim Naeve
Gee Bob, its unfortunate you've never used one of the new Macs to make
such a vehement claim. I used to be a Microsoft Certified Systems
Engineer (MCSE) in the late 90's and have built many computers myself so
I know my way around a Wintel box. In 2003, I just gave up on the
high-maintenance of Windows and decided to try Mac and never looked back.
Before you slam something you know nothing about, maybe you should make
a trip to an Apple store and give a new iMac a try.
Too expensive, too proprietary, too limited in software, and I don't
need no stinking emulation.

Macs are the domain of graphic artists who won't give up on tradition
and people that want to be different just for the sake of being
different.
devlin
2008-04-05 19:06:50 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Post by Jim Naeve
Gee Bob, its unfortunate you've never used one of the new Macs to make
such a vehement claim. I used to be a Microsoft Certified Systems
Engineer (MCSE) in the late 90's and have built many computers myself so
I know my way around a Wintel box. In 2003, I just gave up on the
high-maintenance of Windows and decided to try Mac and never looked back.
Before you slam something you know nothing about, maybe you should make
a trip to an Apple store and give a new iMac a try.
Too expensive, too proprietary, too limited in software, and I don't
need no stinking emulation.
Macs are the domain of graphic artists who won't give up on tradition
and people that want to be different just for the sake of being
different.
Dude, I don't run a Mac but I'll tell you.....They don't get virus's.
For Windows not to get virus's we must run anti-virus/malware software
which takes up more resources AND we have to shell out yearly for that.
I call it protection money......

I like the hardware flexibility of a PC so I am sticking with PC's but
I've had it myself and am fleeing to Linux. When Microsoft can make
Windows as secure as Mac and/or Linux with out spying on me with their
WGA, having to pay out for yearly protection money to anti-virus
vendors, maybe I'll come back. They haven't got a clue as to what we
WANT just what the OEM vendors want....a OS that looks pretty on the
shelf........

Devlin
- Bob -
2008-04-06 03:39:04 UTC
Post by devlin
Dude, I don't run a Mac but I'll tell you.....They don't get virus's.
For Windows not to get virus's we must run anti-virus/malware software
which takes up more resources AND we have to shell out yearly for that.
I call it protection money......
They do get viruses, but the target is smaller, so there are less of
them in production. And personally, I use free virus software that
doesn't use much in the way of resources, but does the job better than
the virus (note that I didn't say antivirus) programs from the big
players.
Post by devlin
I like the hardware flexibility of a PC so I am sticking with PC's but
I've had it myself and am fleeing to Linux. When Microsoft can make
Windows as secure as Mac and/or Linux with out spying on me with their
WGA, having to pay out for yearly protection money to anti-virus
vendors, maybe I'll come back. They haven't got a clue as to what we
WANT just what the OEM vendors want....a OS that looks pretty on the
shelf........
I agree that Windows sucks and Microsoft sucks. That's still not going
to force me to use an OS that reduces my productivity and increases my
out of pocket hardware, software, and/or support costs substantially.
devlin
2008-05-02 13:04:24 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Post by devlin
Dude, I don't run a Mac but I'll tell you.....They don't get virus's.
For Windows not to get virus's we must run anti-virus/malware software
which takes up more resources AND we have to shell out yearly for that.
I call it protection money......
They do get viruses, but the target is smaller, so there are less of
them in production. And personally, I use free virus software that
doesn't use much in the way of resources, but does the job better than
the virus (note that I didn't say antivirus) programs from the big
players.
Its more they pass along virus's. Thats why they run a/v software on
Linux file, and mail servers, to keep from being passed a virus from one
Windows machine and passing it through to another Windows machine.
Post by - Bob -
Post by devlin
I like the hardware flexibility of a PC so I am sticking with PC's but
I've had it myself and am fleeing to Linux. When Microsoft can make
Windows as secure as Mac and/or Linux with out spying on me with their
WGA, having to pay out for yearly protection money to anti-virus
vendors, maybe I'll come back. They haven't got a clue as to what we
WANT just what the OEM vendors want....a OS that looks pretty on the
shelf........
I agree that Windows sucks and Microsoft sucks. That's still not going
to force me to use an OS that reduces my productivity and increases my
out of pocket hardware, software, and/or support costs substantially.
If cost is the problem why not try Linux?

Uses your existing hardware,

Linux uses less resources than Windows (a LOT less than Vista!),

Costs less (you can even get it FREE),

The tens of thousands of software programs available for FREE,

Users have input on the software and the OS itself by joining various
projects or simply e-mailing the developers.

The users can (if knowledgeable enough) make any changes they want to
the OS and the other GPL'd software with out being sued by someone. You
are granted full access to the source code and the ability to make any
changes you want.

No need to pay protection money.... even if you'd feel safer running an
A/V package... they are available. Many for free.
Twayne
2008-05-02 15:45:20 UTC
Post by devlin
Post by - Bob -
Post by devlin
[...]
Are you going to go do the implementation for the OP, add the needed
drivers & configurations and then maintain it? I thought not; too many
egotistic nutjobs want to make it sound like switching from a MAC to
Windows or vice versa. For those who are largely USERS and who can't do
the techie things on their own, that's silly advice.
Blind allegiance (aka "follower").
ct
2008-05-02 18:50:42 UTC
Post by Twayne
Are you going to go do the implementation for the OP, add the needed
drivers & configurations and then maintain it? I thought not; too many
egotistic nutjobs want to make it sound like switching from a MAC to
Windows or vice versa. For those who are largely USERS and who can't do
the techie things on their own, that's silly advice.
Blind allegiance (aka "follower").
Twane you are full of male bovine excrement!

I downloaded the latest Ubuntu release. It can run from the cd for a
test run.
It booted up with no problems finding everything it needs. My dsl
modem let Firefox connect to the internet. No "techie things" needed.
As soon as Ghost arrives a complete backup will be done. Then Ubuntu
will reside on my hard drive.

Carl T.
Janitor Boy Jr
2008-05-02 19:12:01 UTC
Post by ct
Post by Twayne
Are you going to go do the implementation for the OP, add the needed
drivers & configurations and then maintain it? I thought not; too many
egotistic nutjobs want to make it sound like switching from a MAC to
Windows or vice versa. For those who are largely USERS and who can't do
the techie things on their own, that's silly advice.
Blind allegiance (aka "follower").
Twane you are full of male bovine excrement!
I downloaded the latest Ubuntu release. It can run from the cd for a test
run.
It booted up with no problems finding everything it needs. My dsl modem
let Firefox connect to the internet. No "techie things" needed. As soon as
Ghost arrives a complete backup will be done. Then Ubuntu will reside on
my hard drive.
Windows was created to keep stupid people away from Linux.
--
~Mike~
45°7'58"N 89°9'5"W
Geoff
2008-05-03 01:08:01 UTC
Post by Janitor Boy Jr
Windows was created to keep stupid people away from Linux.
Not quite factual.
Windows was created before Linux existed. :)

At the time Windows was created everything was PC(MS)-DOS or UNIX.
Some CP/M systems were nice, such as the one that came with the Xerox
820. You could even customize the system files and the BIOS if you
were into Z80 assembler.

You could buy AT&T UNIX for $1200 and deal with their bad support.
You could buy SCO's version for about $900, it came in 5 or 6 boxes
with nice 3-ring binders explaining all the commands. Tools and
programs to run them were extra. Some cost as much as $700.
No GUI at all, X didn't exist.
Robert Peirce
2008-05-04 15:48:40 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Janitor Boy Jr
Windows was created to keep stupid people away from Linux.
Not quite factual.
Windows was created before Linux existed. :)
At the time Windows was created everything was PC(MS)-DOS or UNIX.
Some CP/M systems were nice, such as the one that came with the Xerox
820. You could even customize the system files and the BIOS if you
were into Z80 assembler.
You could buy AT&T UNIX for $1200 and deal with their bad support.
You could buy SCO's version for about $900, it came in 5 or 6 boxes
with nice 3-ring binders explaining all the commands. Tools and
programs to run them were extra. Some cost as much as $700.
No GUI at all, X didn't exist.
You could buy an Altos computer that came with AT&T Unix Sys III
installed. I did. No GUI, but all the Unix tools.

Later, I was running on a NeXT computer very close to the time Windows
came out. I don't recall who was first, maybe Windows, but NeXT wasn't
far behind. NeXTtep, later NEXTSTEP, sat on top of a BSD Unix system.
You could run GUI, shell or both. NeXT was eventually merged into Apple
and NEXTSTEP provided the basis for OS X. In fact, I switched to Apple
when I saw OS X. It was so familiar!!

Frankly, I was never the least bit interested in Microsoft or Apple
until Windows and OS X.
--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]
Twayne
2008-04-03 16:23:45 UTC
Post by Jim Naeve
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case. Sure Mac's are the
minority out there but, we're a growing community and I just don't get
how companies can continue to alienate Mac users by creating
proprietary websites that use Windows specific technology. All of
Verizon's "features" and "tools" are strictly tuned to Windows and
appear to purposely exclude Mac's.
Maybe its a conspiracy... LOL Verizon is actually owned by the evil
empire Microsoft ROFL
Maybe, but I wouldn't expect Ford to design/maintain my Volvo either.
Since MS sells MS product, it simply makes sense that they concentrate
on MS things. OTOH hand, they actually have ported many of their apps
to MAC so they do occasionally work in that direction.

I do quite a bit of coding myself; I never write for a Mac because to
date I've never encountered a MAC client.
Mac writes software for the Mac; if you want MS stuff, it's best to ask
Mac how to, or else get an MS system. No?
Mac claims to be able to do everything anyway, last I knew. I think you
look for love in all the wrong places.

Besides, MS is on its way out with me and many others too, only I'm not
a Linux fanatic. I simply have a strong like for the state of open
source programs these days and that's the direction I'm migrating in.
Where I have a choice I always pick open source over a single-sourced
(such as Mac, MS, etc.) of any kind.

Twayne
Jim Naeve
2008-04-04 13:09:48 UTC
I had no idea I'd get this much feedback.

When I speak of tools, I refer to being able to access my account,
change billing, address, payment options, etc. I also refer to some of
the feature configuration tools. I usually have to make several
attempts using different browsers, Firefox, Safari, Mozilla, Opera, etc.
before I can get something to work. Their site is made for IE and uses
ASP and ActiveX as well.

This was the same problem that XM Radio had with their website and
eventually they addressed that problem and rewrote their entire website
to industry standards.

Just my .02 cents but I'm surprised that this still goes on today,
especially from a predominant player such as Verizon.