Can I call 911 in another area code?
JXStern
2008-03-08 15:58:37 UTC
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?

I guess I could try it ...

... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.

I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?

Thanks.

J.
Han
2008-03-08 16:25:13 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
Thanks.
J.
Let's see. Why would I call 911? Most likely something is wrong with me
and I need help, or I see something for which/whom I need emergency help.
That seems to limit the emergency to the location I am in, not something
somewhere across the country. Of course, I could have received a call
from someone unble to call 911 himself/herself, and I would like to get
help for that person. It should be possible to request from the 911
operator where to send help.

The most urgent problem is someone calling 911 who is unable to give the
location where they are, hence the requirement (I think) for "enhanced
911", which automatically sends the location from where the call is made,
however (im)precise.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
n***@sysadmininc.com
2008-03-08 17:20:16 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
If you call 911 from your cell phone, you'll be connected to the nearest
911 service to the tower you're connected to, I believe.
Janitor Boy Jr
2008-03-08 17:53:50 UTC
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
If you call 911 from your cell phone, you'll be connected to the nearest
911 service to the tower you're connected to, I believe.
that is the way I understand it.
--
~Mike~
45°7'58"N 89°9'5"W
Lewis Engel
2008-03-12 01:30:40 UTC
Post by n***@sysadmininc.com
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
If you call 911 from your cell phone, you'll be connected to the nearest
911 service to the tower you're connected to, I believe.
Right you are. Here in some parts of Jersey City we actually connect
to NYC towers (just across the river), and dialing 911 will get you
the NYPD. Have to keep the local JCPD number in the cell phone.

Can You Hear Me Now????????

Twayne
2008-03-08 18:54:34 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
Thanks.
J.
No, you can not dial to another area code. Your example would go
nowhere. Try it. Worse, if you're using a cell, it's not necessarily
even 911 you need to dial; it depends on where you are.

If you use 911 from a cell, it may or may not work. It could even be a
different number to dial; some places it's the star key only & even
other totally different numbers.
Cells are special animals w/r to 911 calls. Also, obviously, there is
no way to know where you call from with a cell; only a tower, IFF that
much can be known and iff 911 is in use. Believe it or not, there are
still places where 911 will not work with a cell.
Regards,

Twayne

Open Office isn't just for wimps anymore;
OOo is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org
JXStern
2008-03-08 19:46:25 UTC
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:54:34 GMT, "Twayne"
Post by Twayne
No, you can not dial to another area code. Your example would go
nowhere. Try it.
OK, forget the cell. If I'm using a landline, I can't call the 911 in
an adjacent area code? Or if I call my own 911, can they connect me
to the 911 in the next area code?

Thanks.

What I'm worried about is someone in trouble calling me, and my need
to call their 911.

J.
Twayne
2008-03-08 23:56:29 UTC
Post by Twayne
No, you can not dial to another area code. Your example would go
nowhere. Try it.
OK, forget the cell. If I'm using a landline, I can't call the 911 in
an adjacent area code? Or if I call my own 911, can they connect me
to the 911 in the next area code?
Thanks.
What I'm worried about is someone in trouble calling me, and my need
to call their 911.
J.
That's actually an interesting question and it made me really curious so
I called the non-emergency number and asked. Being rural here, I also
called the State Police and Sheriff; in general, we're supposed to call
the Sheriff in our location, for fastest responses prior to E 911 going
in.

There seemed to be one concensus: They don't know! <g> I'm being a
little unfair there because the advice more accurately seemed to be
along these lines:
-- Your own 911 can most likely make the calls/placements/etc. to get
help for the address you're concerned about. Do NOT use a cell; use a
landline for that 911 call so they can lock your line and have quick
access back toyou if they need it.
In some places it might even be possible for your 911 to connect you
to their 911.

-- If you have to use a cell and/ore must keep a line available for
whatever reason, then call the local police precinct, State Police or
Sheriff, whichever is most applicable. They can almost certainly get
the 911 center to respond if it's a medical emergency, etc., in other
words the appropriate response center.

NEVER dial 911 just to ask for information or in any non-emergency
situation, BUT, you can call their non-emergency numbers to ask about
such things and to put a plan in place.
If this is a medical situation, there are also some other great
services available such as man-down pendants that go off if a person
falls, lacks a heartbeat, etc.. Contact your local hospital for
information regarding that. We used what was called a LifeLine once;
they called the person once a day plus she wore a panic button and a
man-down device. The LifeLines were even speaker systems so they could
listen in to the rooms and speak to the person without them having to
answer the phone, all kinds of neat things. The man-down devices can
create a lot of false alarms because people forget to set them when they
go to bed to sleep, things like that.

Perhaps if you explained the problem a little more, someone would have
more targetted advice or assistance to give you.

In fact, this is an interesting enough situation I think it would be
neat if another one or two folks here on the group made the same
inquiries I did, including the OP, who needs it more immediately.
It might be interesting to see what other responses came from other
areas.
I am located in far upstate rural New York, right on the Canadian
border. So even if you did dial 911 and got connected, you might be
connected to a Canadian tower, which is only going to muddy the waters
and waste time. Cell phones in non-urban areas are just not reliable
for emergencies like 911 calls.

www.openoffice.org
Geoff
2008-03-08 20:17:38 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
Thanks.
J.
Short answer: No.

911 is a special 3-digit code that has significance only in the local
zone. One cannot call 1-xxx-911 because all 1- numbers must have 10
digits 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. The system counts digits and 1 plus 6 digits is
not a complete number and the call will fail.

Basically the system is looking for patterns. You will also find there
is no area code 911. This is to prevent false 911 calls where someone
dropped the 1 preceding a call to an area code 911-xxx-xxxx.

911 calls are mapped to special functions like caller ID and GPS
locations and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) function that have meaning
only to local context. Anyone calling you for help should be
immediately told to hang up and dial their own 911 call. Barring that,
you should prepare yourself for this kind of call by knowing the
contact numbers for emergency services in the area of the person who
would be calling you for help.
JXStern
2008-03-08 20:43:59 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by JXStern
[...]

(I also tried it, and yup, it just hangs there)

J.
Steve
2008-03-08 21:43:10 UTC
Post by JXStern
Post by Geoff
locations and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) function that have meaning
only to local context. Anyone calling you for help should be
immediately told to hang up and dial their own 911 call. Barring that,
you should prepare yourself for this kind of call by knowing the
contact numbers for emergency services in the area of the person who
would be calling you for help.
Thanks.
(I also tried it, and yup, it just hangs there)
J.
Here's a few answers I found on the 'Net

If you have a cell phone from another state and call 911, which
dispatch does it call when dialed?I live in another state, than where
my cell phone is from. And I've always wondered if I call 911 here,
will it call back home or will it automatically connect me to the
dispatch here in this state? Hmmmm. Good thing to actually know, I
think.
Answer

Cellular towers are designed to route calls to the nearest 911 center.
Where you got the phone is irrelevant.

At the hospital last night, I learned the answer to this question: You
call 911 in your area, and they'll transfer you.

This never would have occurred to me. But other people at the hospital
didn't know, either. We wound up asking a paramedic, who gave us the
answer and said, "Yeah, we had to transfer a call just last week."

Calling 9-1-1 from a Cell Phone

When calling 9-1-1 from a cell phone, your location may not
automatically display to the 9-1-1 center as it does when calling from
most homes or businesses.

Be Prepared to tell the 9-1-1 Calltaker…
The location of the emergency - (Address, street intersection,
landmarks, city, county, mile marker, etc.)
What the emergency is and what type of assistance is needed
Your cell phone number
Remember…
Stay calm and speak clearly!
Do not hang up until the 9-1-1 calltaker has obtained all of the
information that is needed.
Since you are calling from a cell phone, your call may be disconnected
if the signal is lost. Be sure to call back if you are cut off.
When calling 9-1-1 on a cellular phone, be sure to stop if you are in
a moving vehicle. It is difficult to obtain all of the information
needed if you are getting further from the emergency.
Your call may need to be transferred to another agency.
Geoff
2008-03-08 23:58:02 UTC
Post by Steve
Post by JXStern
Post by Geoff
[...]
Yes. Cellular 911 calls in California are routed to the CHP district
office closest to the cell site you are dialing through. CHP responds
to all calls on interstates, county highways and unincorporated areas.
They relay to the proper city police or sheriff as needed. Fire and
paramedics are dispatched according to location of the incident or
nearest available unit. It is very well organized and mature when
responding to freeway accidents.

In New Mexico it wasn't nearly as well run. I called 911 there and got
a dispatcher that couldn't seem to figure out how he should handle my
call from the interstate about an injury accident within Albuquerque.
He advised me to call ABQ fire or NM Highway Patrol. I explained I was
from out of state, mobile and didn't have access to the numbers and
for him to relay the call, he hung up. I hope he lost his job.

Where your mobile 911 call gets routed varies according to local
policies, be aware of it when traveling out of your normal area. It
will always be a local agency for that area but it may not be a
statewide agency like CHP in California.
Bilbo
2008-03-09 02:18:23 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Steve
.
[...]
Most cell phones do not even have to be activated in order to call 911. As
long as the battery is charged, emergency calls should be routed to the
nearest operations center.
Bilbo
Geoff
2008-03-09 03:13:46 UTC
Post by Bilbo
Most cell phones do not even have to be activated in order to call 911. As
long as the battery is charged, emergency calls should be routed to the
nearest operations center.
Bilbo
This is true. This was established a long time ago as part of the
cellular operational requirements. Any functioning phone had to work
for emergency purposes even if it was not activated or had an account.
-
2008-03-09 07:28:32 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Steve
[...]
Actually, in California, it's routed to the CHP office in Sacramento first,
and the first question they ask is what city you're in. LAPD has been
trying to get that changed for areas that it covers where the towers aren't
freeway adjacent, but last that I knew of their efforts, LAPD was still
handing out the 10-digit equivalents for cellular users (routed to the
downtown and valley dispatch centers). The LAPD information is 1 year old
but direct from one of their divisional community desk units. For CHP, the
only 24-hour center in the Los Angeles area is their Hollywood station, and
its 10-digit equivalent is in our local phone books (as such).
Twayne
2008-03-08 23:57:21 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by JXStern
[...]
Excellent advice, IMO.

www.openoffice.org
Han
2008-03-08 21:09:42 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
Thanks.
J.
If you are worried about someone specific, I'd suggest finding out the
number of the police dispatcher in that town/area. In our experience,
the police will be there before fire or ambulance people since they are
already patrolling in a car.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Gordon
2008-03-09 01:02:00 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
Maybe. Isn't 411 the directory assistance number?
I seem to remember that I could call
1-(area code)-555-1411 to get directory assistance
in any city. THat may or may not work with 911.
Post by JXStern
I guess I could try it ...
DON'T unless it is an emergency. But be prepared
with a backup plan.

Best thing to do is to find out the non-emergency
number for the area you want to contact. That number
is usually answered by the 911 response center.
JXStern
2008-03-09 01:22:46 UTC
Post by Gordon
DON'T unless it is an emergency.
Well, I started by posting here!

I guess I could read the front info pages of my phone book.

I tried Googling, and nothing very relevant popped up.

It looks like having the fire/police dispatch numbers handy
(programmed) is the best answer.

BUT, since calling 911 you usually get several rings, and not
uncommonly get put on hold, if I did want to call to see if it worked,
that would probably not violate protocol too badly.

J.
Dave Thornburgh
2008-03-09 02:00:32 UTC
Post by JXStern
BUT, since calling 911 you usually get several rings, and not
uncommonly get put on hold, if I did want to call to see if it worked,
that would probably not violate protocol too badly.
The protocol is, if you are calling to verify connectivity, you should
stay on the line, and politely tell the person who answers that your
call was simply to verify your ability to reach 911 from that phone.
D. Kirkpatrick
2008-03-09 02:46:30 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
Thanks.
You would have to contact each department's business line and see if
there is a 7-digit number available that trunks in on their region's
911 service.

Alternately, if you call 911 in your area, simply explain your
interaction on th ephone and the name and address of the person you
feel is in trouble.

In Massachusetts the 911 line is trunked in on land lines to various
police centers. For example, Boston's land lines go to Boston PD,
Brookline's to Brookline, PD, etc.

Cell phone 911 is answered by the state police who in turn either
takes the call and relays it tot he best department or will connect
you.

In Boston there is a special number establushed for cell phones to
contact Boston policve that trunks in on the 911 service.

617-343-4911.

That is answered by Boston Police.
JXStern
2008-03-09 16:46:33 UTC
I'm getting some info offline, that cell phone 911 calls are picked up
by the local tower and sent to CHP, who then have to call local city
dispatch, if you're in an urban area. Landline 911 will probably be
more direct in that case! Landline full-dial numbers typically do NOT
go to the 911 center, according to my contact, making landline 911
calls preferable.

FWIW I Googled to the Long Beach, CA city pages and got their 7-digit
dispatch numbers for fire and police, may also take your advice to ask
if these do go to the 911 center or not.

J.

Geoff
2008-03-09 17:36:26 UTC
Post by JXStern
I'm getting some info offline, that cell phone 911 calls are picked up
by the local tower and sent to CHP, who then have to call local city
dispatch, if you're in an urban area. Landline 911 will probably be
more direct in that case! Landline full-dial numbers typically do NOT
go to the 911 center, according to my contact, making landline 911
calls preferable.
That's precisely the problem with people who abandon their POTS for
VoIP or cell phones. Calling 911 doesn't map right for at-home
emergencies. I guess a smart person would find the local agency
numbers and put them in their speed dials but I have yet to meet
anyone who plans for that.
Han
2008-03-09 17:42:39 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by JXStern
I'm getting some info offline, that cell phone 911 calls are picked up
by the local tower and sent to CHP, who then have to call local city
dispatch, if you're in an urban area. Landline 911 will probably be
more direct in that case! Landline full-dial numbers typically do NOT
go to the 911 center, according to my contact, making landline 911
calls preferable.
That's precisely the problem with people who abandon their POTS for
VoIP or cell phones. Calling 911 doesn't map right for at-home
emergencies. I guess a smart person would find the local agency
numbers and put them in their speed dials but I have yet to meet
anyone who plans for that.
Hopefully that will become more and more untrue as the cellular networks
all go to enhanced 911 service. At least that is what I undertstand.
Nevertheless, it is always good to know where you are. I believe
children should be trained how to call 911 and give the correct
information about where they are and what the problem is.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Bilbo
2008-03-09 19:32:11 UTC
Post by Han
Post by Geoff
Post by JXStern
[...]
Another enhancement on the horizon is GPS ability in cell phones. Tower
triangulation can get your location within a few hundred yards, but GPS
information can get it within a few feet. For privacy concerns, the GPS can
be optionally turned off, but it will still be active for an emergency call.
A few years ago there was a situation south of Dallas here where a lady ran
off the road on her way from Austin (I think). She could call 911 from her
cell phone, but she wasn't familiar enough with the area to be able to give
accurate location information. It was several hours before the police
located her.
Land line is still probably the best, but when the emergency is at another
location, or when you are at another location, cell phones will work, and
given time, the technology should get better. Understand, this is from
someone who doesn't even have a cell phone.
Bilbo
Han
2008-03-09 20:53:29 UTC
Post by Bilbo
Another enhancement on the horizon is GPS ability in cell phones.
I just got a new cell phone 6 months ago. One of the cheapest available.
It doesn't even have a "camera", let alone a gps chip. I did buy a Garmin
GPS receiver, but I see no way to plug one into the other <grin>.

As you mentioned, privacy does become an issue then, especially since I
tend to believe that GPS records could easily be faked as a "route" or
"track" can be entered (I think) into programs such as MapSource.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
- Bob -
2008-03-10 00:16:18 UTC
Post by Han
Post by Bilbo
Another enhancement on the horizon is GPS ability in cell phones.
I just got a new cell phone 6 months ago. One of the cheapest available.
It doesn't even have a "camera", let alone a gps chip. I did buy a Garmin
GPS receiver, but I see no way to plug one into the other <grin>.
Are you sure about that? The GPS in cell phones is not necessarily
tied into any user GPS capabilities, it's just a core hardware
capability. I think it's inclusion for 911 purposes is actually a
requirement now.

Check in the options to see if you have an ability to turn gps on/off.
It's usually under something like "location settings" with an ability
to be "on" or "e911 only".
Post by Han
As you mentioned, privacy does become an issue then, especially since I
tend to believe that GPS records could easily be faked as a "route" or
"track" can be entered (I think) into programs such as MapSource.
As noted above, GPS can be shut off in most cell phones for non-911
purposes. It's worth noting that your general location is still
trackable by checking to see which cell towers your phone hooks up to.
So, for example, I can't tell exactly where you've been if your
phone's GPS is off, but I can tell within a rough 5 mile radius where
you drove on your way from ME to FL. I can tell when you stopped or
slowed in each area.

And yes, there are investigative people doing this sort of thing.
Unfortunately, it's still not clearly illegal for phone companies to
provide this information to the gov't without a search warrant or
constitutionally required oversight.
JXStern
2008-03-10 16:28:10 UTC
Post by - Bob -
Are you sure about that? The GPS in cell phones is not necessarily
tied into any user GPS capabilities, it's just a core hardware
capability. I think it's inclusion for 911 purposes is actually a
requirement now.
I think it's been build into all phones sold in the last two years or
more.

Latest poop from my external expert on 911, is best bet might be to
call my local 911 and let them connect to other 911.

Hope I don't need to test it.

J.
Geoff
2008-03-10 00:40:08 UTC
Post by Han
Post by Bilbo
Another enhancement on the horizon is GPS ability in cell phones.
I just got a new cell phone 6 months ago. One of the cheapest available.
It doesn't even have a "camera", let alone a gps chip. I did buy a Garmin
GPS receiver, but I see no way to plug one into the other <grin>.
As you mentioned, privacy does become an issue then, especially since I
tend to believe that GPS records could easily be faked as a "route" or
"track" can be entered (I think) into programs such as MapSource.
It was my understanding that all phones must be deployed with EGPS
chips in them. I know my mother's phone was replaced by her provider
free of charge (a senior benefit for her emergency-use cell phone) and
the letter stated this was to comply with federal law.

In any event, even if your phone doesn't have GPS it can still be
located, cheaply and accurately by trilateration or more accurately,
multilateration of its emitted signal. If the phone is GSM enabled it
certainly has this technology. This is the famous "ping" location
method described in the media in missing person cases.

The phone is identified, the time of arrival of the signals from that
phone are determined at multiple cell sites. Since all cell sites are
synchronized with GPS time signals the TDOA of the cell phone ping
delta-T's are known. Calculate c * dt and you have the difference in
range from each tower that can hear the signal. Solve the simultaneous
equations and you have the position. The user need not be aware of the
track. If the phone is on, it can be tracked. GPS need not be enabled
or present in the phone. One can estimate the position of a phone
faster with ping methods than querying the GPS inside the phone. Add
directional information from tower antennas and signal strength and
you have a pretty good idea of the location of that phone.

Anyone concerned with "privacy" shouldn't own a mobile phone. Lose the
Internet connection while your at it too.
-
2008-03-11 05:23:51 UTC
Post by Geoff
Post by Han
Post by Bilbo
Another enhancement on the horizon is GPS ability in cell phones.
I just got a new cell phone 6 months ago. One of the cheapest available.
It doesn't even have a "camera", let alone a gps chip. I did buy a Garmin
GPS receiver, but I see no way to plug one into the other <grin>.
As you mentioned, privacy does become an issue then, especially since I
tend to believe that GPS records could easily be faked as a "route" or
"track" can be entered (I think) into programs such as MapSource.
It was my understanding that all phones must be deployed with EGPS
chips in them. I know my mother's phone was replaced by her provider
free of charge (a senior benefit for her emergency-use cell phone) and
the letter stated this was to comply with federal law.
The requirement was all phone manufactured in 2006 and after. It's always
possible that he got a phone that was sitting on the shelf for 2+ years....
Big Al
2008-03-09 12:33:49 UTC
Post by JXStern
Can I dial 1-xxx-911 to another area code?
I guess I could try it ...
... I vaguely recall this did NOT work some years ago, and/or the 911
people would laugh at you because you were not local.
I guess the related question is, if I have a cell phone in area code
xxx, and I'm visiting area code yyy, and I just dial 911, which 911
operation do I get, my home xxx, or where I'm standing, yyy?
Thanks.
J.
I was on the phone complaining to verizon support about connection
timeouts on the news server and brought up this question to him as a
side bar item. He said that most 911's in most areas will triangulate
on the towers and relay the call the the nearest 911 center by tower.
Not by area code. He did qualify, "some areas do this". But he
felt that all areas will at least get you local 911.